Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Is my wiring right?

This is a discussion on Is my wiring right? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I ran a cat 6 extension through my wall and into my attic, then out to the garage. It

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I ran a cat 6 extension through my wall and into my attic, then out to the garage. It doesn't work through my router at all but interestingly enough if I go directly to the cable modem it will establish a connection. When I look at the properties though it's only at 10 MB and cat 6 connection would be better then that right?

Anyway I think maybe I just screwed up the wiring order. here is a pic of the keystone:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Which did you choose A or B? Did you do the same at both ends like A-A not A-B?

A quick review shows you wired incorrectly.

Diagrams on the net have your right side with
blue white
green white
orange white
orange

but you have

orange white
orange
green white
green

Color keys should be on the sides of the keystones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=keys...UNg_uJLbu-M%3A
Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

I chose To wire Type A (T568A) and the keystone I am using is a KJ8 Cat 6 Keystone Jack... I think it matches the colors for that jack but IDK maybe something else is wrong. It's weird that I can get internet through it still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleArrow View Post

Color keys should be on the sides of the keystones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=keys...UNg_uJLbu-M%3A
As Gentle said, you have to go by the color scheme on the jack, since they can be different. Did you test the cable with a tester? Just curious, why did you use 568A as your wiring method?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I copied your picture and rotated it to the correct angle with the top facing up instead of down so I could compare it to online diagrams

Your left side [rotated pic] or right side [unrotated pic] has:
green
green white
orange
orange white

Correctly done you have:
green white
green
blue white
blue

You don't have the right colors nor is the sequences correct. In neither A or B do you have green and orange together. You have orange and brown [A] and orange on blue [B] but never orange and green.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat6+keystone+jack+wiring+diagram&biw=999&bih=544&tbm=isch&imgil=HHcSKRZKrs232M%253A%253BONd-jLqeRum7LM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.vpi.us%25252Finstallation%25252Finst-jck-vert.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=HHcSKRZKrs232M%253A%252CONd-jLqeRum7LM%252C_&usg=__znDHeORVAXJnMNCN5ZWwAjLvDLw%3D&dpr=1.5&ved=0ahUKEwjl_ZWujofMAhUEw2MKHZTkBl8QyjcILw&ei=Jt8LV-XSL4SGjwOUyZv4BQ#imgrc=HHcSKRZKrs232M%3A

Please review this link so you can properly redo your cable ends
https://www.computercablestore.com/h...keystone-jacks
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Disregard all that. Go by the color code on the jack itself. They will be correct for that jack as the internal connection will get to the right pins. Color codes may be on the sides of the jack which don't show in your pictures.

It sounds like you have one end backwards or are using one (or both) crossover cables between the jack and the device. From the switch to the device everything should be straight through. Crossover cables are used between the modem and router.

These days, many things are 'auto-sensing' and will correct a cable mismatch internally however.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks I switched both ends to type b and it resolved this issue. I followed the configuration on the keystone, not the above configs, but I appreciate everyone's help here!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
I switched both ends to type b and it resolved this issue.
As long as everything is the same, 568A or B doesn't matter.
Closed Thread