Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

How to track network live cables?

This is a discussion on How to track network live cables? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I will have to track and label the cables from about 20 full switches which go to patch panels. Total

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

I will have to track and label the cables from about 20 full switches which go to patch panels. Total spaghetti! There are no labels, we have no information about where patch panels go (to which PCs) and we do not administrate the switches. We can get no reports regarding macs or anything. My question is what's the easiest way to track the cables WITHOUT unplugging them at all? (switch-patch panel, 2-10 meters long). Is there any device that could help me? I've read that Intellitone Pro 200 tracks live networks, but I can't find any indication how to actually do it. I know it has some alligator clips. If i put them directly to the outside of the cable, will they transmit any signal to use the probe to the other end? If not, any other advice besides manually track them? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

A tone tracer would work mate, providing the patches aren't POE (it won't work if they are). If you can't unplug the patches (or do it at a time when you can) you might have to manually trace each cable.

I would use it as an opportunity to recable the cabs if you can :)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

I thought it that way as well, but I hoped that Intellitone Pro 200 tones it without unplugging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

It should mate, but if you're running power over Ethernet on your switches, you might not get anything from the tone.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am not sure about what I'm about to say, but I think if you use the Intellitone Pro 200 it will work. It uses digital tone, not analog. But I can't find any concrete opinion that someone actually did that so I can ask my boss to buy it. Cause if I ask him and won't work, it is now ok... :)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
Moderator - Networking

I'm old school mate (analog testing) :) so your tester may work!

Going forward, you will save yourself a massive hassle by recabling but make sure your boss pays for a tester as well (always useful).

Best of luck mate.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks! In case he will buy it, I will leave a reply for those who will struggle with the same situation.
Closed Thread