Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

how to connect internet in two laptops with a broadband LAN connection

This is a discussion on how to connect internet in two laptops with a broadband LAN connection within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Everyone i am having a broadband Lan connection. i want to connect internet in two laptops using this broadband

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Everyone

i am having a broadband Lan connection.

i want to connect internet in two laptops using this broadband lan cable.

one way to do it is ,buy a router(but costly).

i searched on google and found a device known as LAN splitter.
here is the link.

RJ45 Network Cable Y Splitter 2 WAY Double Adapter 3 Port Ethernet LAN Coupler | eBay

so can i use such type to connect internet over two laptops using a ethernet lan cable broadbond.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

No, that will not work
you will need a router

if you look down the item you posted , you will see your question is answered there
Quote:
NOTE:Only one port works at one particular time. Dont use both of the ports at one particular time.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hay i have provide the some steps to connect the internet in Two PC. I think it is more help to you.

Quote from How to connect Two PC and Share BroadBand Internet in windows Seven/Vista | Shafiul Azam's Weblog
Quote:
Now, when you install the new LAN card on PC1, you can find a new Icon on Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.

Now, Double clidk on the icon of new lan card, Click Properties. From the property window, double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP). A new window will appear

Now, Right click on the icon of the old LAN card which is connected to internet (in my case “citycom”) and go to Properties. Now, click on the sharing tab, and put tick on the sharing option.

You’re almost done! One final step, now go to PC2. Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. Then Right click on the icon of the LAN card, go to properties, double click on Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP) and set everything default (Obtain IP address, DNS automatically)

Now connect the new lan card of PC1 with PC2 using the cross-over cable, and you can enjoy networking and internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Firstly you need a network crossover cable. Available from most computer stores. This is a special type of cable (not a standard LAN cable)

Secondly Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. TO do this Right click on My computer, Properties, go to the Computer Name Tab, See what is written in Workgroup. Change one computer by clicking on change and then type in the name of the other computer in the workgroup space down the bottom. Do not make the computer part of a domain. You want Workgroup.

This name change will require a computer reboot.

When both computers are on the same workgroup, we need to set IP Addresses.

In Control Panel, Open Network Settings.
Right click on Local Area Connections and select properties.

Under the heading "This connection uses the following items, Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Highlight it, Make sure you don't untick the box, and click on properties
Under the heading Use the following IP Address ENter in the Following on ONE Computer.

IP Address 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway LEave Blank

Under the Heading Obtain DNS Serveraddress automatically
Set this to Automatic. Don't enter anything in.

On the second computer Make the IP Address 192.168.0.20
Everything else the same.

This should be all.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro x64; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenConnell View Post
Firstly you need a network crossover cable. Available from most computer stores. This is a special type of cable (not a standard LAN cable)

Secondly Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. TO do this Right click on My computer, Properties, go to the Computer Name Tab, See what is written in Workgroup. Change one computer by clicking on change and then type in the name of the other computer in the workgroup space down the bottom. Do not make the computer part of a domain. You want Workgroup.

This name change will require a computer reboot.

When both computers are on the same workgroup, we need to set IP Addresses.

In Control Panel, Open Network Settings.
Right click on Local Area Connections and select properties.

Under the heading "This connection uses the following items, Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Highlight it, Make sure you don't untick the box, and click on properties
Under the heading Use the following IP Address ENter in the Following on ONE Computer.

IP Address 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway LEave Blank

Under the Heading Obtain DNS Serveraddress automatically
Set this to Automatic. Don't enter anything in.

On the second computer Make the IP Address 192.168.0.20
Everything else the same.

This should be all.
That's just to create a point-to-point LAN connection between the laptops .... no internet connectivity...

Josh
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
TSF Emeritus

And modern network hardware supports mdi/mdix so a crossover is no longer needed.

This is also a old thread and will now be closed.
Closed Thread