Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Help with wifi adapter!

This is a discussion on Help with wifi adapter! within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I currently am using a TP-Link Archer T2U wifi adapter for my gaming PC. For the past two weeks, everytime

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I currently am using a TP-Link Archer T2U wifi adapter for my gaming PC. For the past two weeks, everytime I try to use my computer, the internet is really slow! I used to get 30-40mbps download and 10mbps upload.

Here are some of my speedtest results on my computer vs. on my phone on MY CONNECTION:

(Phone):
Test 1 - PING=10ms Download=39.77Mbps Upload=13.16Mbps
Test 2 - PING=11ms Download=38.75Mbps Upload=10.41Mbps
Test 3 - PING=11ms Download=42.09Mbps Upload=12.30Mbps

(Computer)
Test 1 - PING=14ms Download=2.64Mbps Upload=1.05Mbps
Test 2 - PING=24ms Download=2.10Mbps Upload=0.94Mbps
Test 3 - PING=16ms Download=2.74Mbps Upload=0.85Mbps

Both of these were tested on the same server! As you can see the computer is significantly lower than the phone. I used to get basically the exact same speeds on each of them.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, that got me to like 5mb up/down on my computer for a few hours and then it was back to the speeds above. I updated Windows 10 a few minutes ago and it somehow shot my speeds up to around 8mb up 3 down.

BUT here's the twist. I went to my friends house and brought my computer to test and see if it was the adapter or something else. When I tested on his house I got a steady 50mbps Up 30mbps Down on both the phone AND the computer.

My question for you guys is, what do you think the issue is? I really don't want to go buy another wifi adapter if the same thing is going to happen. I read that one guy formatted his drive and that fixed his (he had the same model adapter as me) but I don't really want to risk all of my games if it's not really going to for sure work.
More about : wifi adapter problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Most likely cause would be the connection itself. Have you checked your signal strength?

Could be a distance issue (ie: low signal) or interference.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

try moving your pc to cable distance from your router and see if the pc performs better on a cabled connection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

This is a good signal test . .

Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, if you want help interpreting it, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Closed Thread