Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Fiber Optic Testers

This is a discussion on Fiber Optic Testers within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am really new to the GAME of Fiber Optics and I need some really good advice on the many

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am really new to the GAME of Fiber Optics and I need some really good advice on the many ways to test Fiber Optic cables. Can someone give me some advice on

1. Continuity Tester
2. Visual Fault Locators
3. Optical Return Loss Test Set
4. Optical Power Meters

I was told I am going to need these

Can someone tell me what exactly what each one test for? along with any possible causes for degradation or discrepancies?

Thanks the help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
TSF Emeritus

LearnFiberOptic.com Certified - Telecommunications - Fiber Optic - Training

Demo the OptiFiber Pro OTDR at your site

A couple of good places to start.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

This might be a good place to look at. They often provides good testers.
Visual Fault Locator, Power Meter, Light Source, Identifier, Talk Sets
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] SFP port status on C2960 when use Fiber optic terminal
I've a question regarding the SFP port's status on C2960 when using a fiber optic terminal. I want connect two WS-C2960-24PC-L via SFP of single-mode fiber, and between these two switches there probaboly has fiber terminal 1, 2. the draft connectivity will be like attached. my question is...
ciscofans Networking Support 2 04-04-2014 06:29 AM
Fiber Optic
I am hooking up a fiber network. Using mm 62.5/125. I have terminated into a patch panel and ran a patch cord between my panel and the switch. My fiber is a corning running at a wavelength of 1300nm. The patch cord is a belkin running at a wavelength of 1310nm. Is this why my fiber is not...
ClementsF1 Networking Support 3 02-18-2013 04:30 PM
Need Fiber Optic Networking Advice
Hi, I am a Security Officer at a residential community. I have a lot of networking experience, but I have no fiber-optic networking experience. Our community needs to set up a network between two gates which spans the distance of about 4,000 feet. What we will use the network for...
rickmc3280 Networking Support 1 11-14-2012 08:35 AM
Old fiber switches and media converters
I have some old fiber stuff around and decided to put it to use to get gigabit over a long run, replacing an unreliable wireless setup. I have 2 fiber to copper media converters, Trendnet TFC-1000MSC. I was simply going to use those to extend the copper at both ends between modern gigabit...
javier911 Networking Support 0 05-19-2011 12:24 PM
Fiber optic install
I am about to embark on my first fiber optic install and would like some input and help. I have a few buildings that i want to run fiber between, lets say 5 to keep it simple. We are going to run a mmf between the buildings and have a termination box in each building. For now we are looking at...
simonbr Cabling and Network Cards 2 04-12-2011 04:47 PM