Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Fiber Optic SFP+

This is a discussion on Fiber Optic SFP+ within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A client is using Dell SFP #FTRJ8519P1BNL on some old Dell switches connected via orange cables-- 50u. We are upgrading

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

A client is using Dell SFP #FTRJ8519P1BNL on some old Dell switches connected via orange cables-- 50u.

We are upgrading the switches to Avaya ERS3500s. I need to use Avaya compatible SFPs for the Avaya switches and I was wondering if I can use an SFP+ on each switch. (AA1403015-E6 )

This apparently changes the 1000Base-SX to 10GBase-SR.

My concern is that the SFP+ will only give me 82 meters rather than the 550 meters.

The greatest distance is about 120 meters.

Will the SFP+ work or should I stick with the AA1419013-E5 at 1Gb/s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

It looks like the 3500 series doesn't support 10GigEthernet, you'll have to stick with gig fibres.

https://www.avaya.com/usa/documents/...ure_matrix.pdf

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Mitch,

You are correct. I had been fooled by the SFP+ labeled port, and the mention of SFP+ in the Installing_SFP_SFP+_XFP_transceivers.pdf manual. The only mention of SFP+ is in the title, and footers.

- Mitch
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new modem for fiber optic
Ciao Guys I am a new guy in here and I am not so familiar with tech things like this. Unlikely my boss ask me to solve this problem and here I am asking help to you guys We are in Jakarta and we are using fiber optic connection cable connected to our Dlink cloud router wireless N300 (DIR-605L)....
ilkato Networking Support 0 03-04-2015 11:17 PM
Fiber Optic Testers
I am really new to the GAME of Fiber Optics and I need some really good advice on the many ways to test Fiber Optic cables. Can someone give me some advice on 1. Continuity Tester 2. Visual Fault Locators 3. Optical Return Loss Test Set 4. Optical Power Meters I was told I am going to...
vesterlee2008 Cabling and Network Cards 2 11-17-2014 06:36 PM
[SOLVED] SFP port status on C2960 when use Fiber optic terminal
I've a question regarding the SFP port's status on C2960 when using a fiber optic terminal. I want connect two WS-C2960-24PC-L via SFP of single-mode fiber, and between these two switches there probaboly has fiber terminal 1, 2. the draft connectivity will be like attached. my question is...
ciscofans Networking Support 2 04-04-2014 06:29 AM
Fiber Optic
I am hooking up a fiber network. Using mm 62.5/125. I have terminated into a patch panel and ran a patch cord between my panel and the switch. My fiber is a corning running at a wavelength of 1300nm. The patch cord is a belkin running at a wavelength of 1310nm. Is this why my fiber is not...
ClementsF1 Networking Support 3 02-18-2013 04:30 PM
Fiber optic install
I am about to embark on my first fiber optic install and would like some input and help. I have a few buildings that i want to run fiber between, lets say 5 to keep it simple. We are going to run a mmf between the buildings and have a termination box in each building. For now we are looking at...
simonbr Cabling and Network Cards 2 04-12-2011 04:47 PM