Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Ethernet Cable not detected

This is a discussion on Ethernet Cable not detected within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So this episode began about 2 weeks ago. My laptop suddenly stopped detecting my ethernet cable. I restarted the computer

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

So this episode began about 2 weeks ago. My laptop suddenly stopped detecting my ethernet cable. I restarted the computer a couple of times and it still didn't work. I googled to check if people had had similar problems. I found a solution which said download and run winsockfix. I did that ans it worked. But just for a short while (5 mins). Then I did a System Restore. It worked again for about 5-10 minutes after I did that and then back. After a while I see that my ethernet driver has vanished from network connections. I tried downloading the driver software from the site but nothing seemed to match my driver. So I did a factory restore. It showed my driver after that and worked too but just for a short while again. I did the factory restore again and it worked. And not just 5 mins, it worked for about a week or two! Yesterday while I was working on my laptop, it constantly kept disconnecting from the network, so I had to keep on connecting every 5 mins. After a while it stopped detecting my ethernet cable again. I don't know what to do anymore. This problem has been bugging me for days and seems like there's no permanent fix! Another point, yesterday after this when I tried ejecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable again and again, it did detect it a couple of times but it said unidentified network. Anyway it's not detecting it anymore.
Laptop model: Dell Inspiron 15R 5537

Please help!

P.S. I did an SFC /scannow and everything is alright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Welcome to TSF,

I would assume that you've changed the network cable as well?

Did you update the Operating System to Windows 8 or you've had this O/S preinstalled when you bought the laptop?

I'd also suggest for you to plug this directly to a Modem if you have a separate router, if you have not done this route.

How about plugging it to a different broadband modem or router?
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethernet cable not connected
Alright, so before I start I should mention that I am in a dorm on a university network, which means I don't have access to anything to do with the network side of things, which is unfortunate to say the least. I recently picked up an SSD for my rig and put 8.1 on it with not trouble, however,...
RedZealot Networking Support 38 10-16-2013 07:17 AM
laptop problems
my laptop have on pup.webcake and rootkit.0access.them quarantine in malwarebytes anti-malware but my laptop is still acting slow i would like to remove them off for my laptop, i have no windows install disc or boot cd.thank u very much for ur help so here is dds.text DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) -...
rasmar Resolved HJT Threads 20 07-28-2013 04:56 PM
72 Meter Ethernet Cable not working
Hi everyone, I am trying to connect a pc with a cable modem using a cat5 UTP cable. I initially checked all the wires of the cable with a meter and then punched the RJ45 connectors to both ends and also checked them with a cable testing device and the straight through mappings were correct,...
techman23 Networking Support 13 11-21-2011 11:03 AM
Dell Ethernet Cable Hooked Up through fax outlet, works for custom comp, but not Dell
I have a Dell 4600 computer. I have an ethernet cable hooked up to a converter so it can be used in a phone jack. It worked on my computer that I custom built, but not on the Dell. I have done everything including switching out the cables and it didn't work. I tried assigning a static IP address...
dastrdlyW Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 3 08-10-2011 06:53 AM
Ethernet Cable Undetected
Hello All, I have recently installed a new motherboard (Gigabyte X58A-UDR3R) and i've been having a problem where when i plug my ethernet cable in to my on board lan nothing is being detected. On start up the with the cable plugged in the ethernet light will flicker letting me know its being...
troyeh Networking Support 1 02-23-2011 04:43 PM