Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Ethernet Cable Advice

This is a discussion on Ethernet Cable Advice within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm seeking advice more than an answer. I want to get a couple spare Ethernet cables. I have two and

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I'm seeking advice more than an answer. I want to get a couple spare Ethernet cables. I have two and just found a plug is broken one one. The ones I have were supplied by my ISP, 6' yellow, some of the writing is 'AWM 2835 -verified cat .5'. It's by Cabletech.

Cabletech seems to be a big company and I doubt I could buy just two from them. Actually, I'm not sure I want the same cable. I did some research on the Internet and I'm totally confused.

I knew there were different transfer rates among different thumb drives, memory cards and such, but I never knew that applied to Ethernet cables as well.

The cables I would buy need not be longer than 6'. They would just connect the modem to the computer.

How do I go about finding some statistics on different brands, or maybe you guys would know. It stands to reason I would want as fast a cable as I could get.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

For a 6' cable any CAT5 cable would be sufficient for your needs.
You can get two of these for less than $6 shipped:
Coboc CY-CAT5E-07-Green
7 ft. Cat 5E Green Color Network Ethernet Cables - Newegg.com

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
TSF Emeritus

Buy Cat6 cables then
Category 6 cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I'm still researching this thing. I just read that Cat-6 and Cat-6a cables are faster than Cat-5 or Cat-5e. Here's an excerpt:

'Just because you have Cat-6 cable, doesn’t mean you have 1 Gb network speeds either. Every connection in your network needs to support the 1 Gb speed and in some cases, the connection will need to be told in software to use the available speed.'

How do I find what speed my network connections support?
Where in software settings would I tell the connection to use the available speed?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

What speed is your isp saying you should have.
you can check using this Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Forgot to mention. In my junk, I found a 6' Belkin CAT-5 patch cable. Is a patch cable essentially the same as a cable? In other words, are they interchangeable?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

The test showed:
PING 74ms
Download Speed 2.44Mbps
Upload Speed 0.32 Mbps

(Am I wrong, or are these speeds slow for a high speed DSL connection?)
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Have you tried it as patch cable could be the same or it could be a crossover cable the only way to find out is try if it is not marked as cross over

Old 12-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

No it depends on how far you are from the exchange and how many others are on that node. I used to get between 1.3mb and 2.0 as I 'am on the furthest point and there were 50 folks on the node.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

A patch cable is just a short cable used to connect patch panels to networking equipment.

Any modern equipment should support auto MDX, so whether any cable is wired as crossover or normal shouldn't matter.

Closed Thread