Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Dual or Quad Network Card

This is a discussion on Dual or Quad Network Card within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I take care of a medium office network with 15+ pcs.. We have recently been testing dumb terminals and

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I take care of a medium office network with 15+ pcs.. We have recently been testing dumb terminals and hosted virtual machines all within a server within the offices.. We have already 5 pc virtualised on vm ware server and connecting via remote desktops using dumb terminals or mini pcs..

I was wondering if i can add a dual or quad lan card to the vm server.. make all 2 or 4 ports act as 1 card so i can have a speed of 2 or 4 gbps instead of into the gigabit switch... how easy is it to do..

We will be having 10 virtual machine running on the server in the near future and i think that hosting all those virtual machines trough 1 gbps port will decrease performance.

Any info or suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

This depends on the server you have, the cards you buy and the OS you run. It also depends on the switches you have... a slightly complicated answer but quickly to use a network card with multiple ports or multiple cards together (Teaming) they need to be supported by the card software. Typically HP and Dell (and probably many supported cards/servers) can do this. You can't just add another card 'willy nilly' without the software as it will cause network issues.

windows 2012 supports 'Teaming' within the OS so don't have to have as supported card to do it. Howerver, I think the cards have to be the same, or at least the same speed. (I can't remember as it has been a while since I've done it, but a quick check on Microsoft site will tell you) earlier versions of windows don't support 'Teaming' within the OS.

typically this type of teaming is passive (I can't remember what the official MS term is) but it supports failover but not load balancing. So performance wise you would not get any benefits. If you want to have your network load shared over multiple interfaces/cards on the same network, you have to have a switch that is capable of supporting this.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

I was thinking about getting this card

https://tinyurl.com/z9g7eya

As for OS i am running windows 10 pro.

As for router i have a TP Link TL-SG1024D Gigabit Switch

Do you think i can work with this to make to combine both ports as one into the router to have 2 gbps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

I can't see the card as the link doesn't seem to work, but you would need a managed switch which allows you to configure the options for the config you need and your switch would not work. Also Windows10 does not support 'Teaming' in the OS.

Personally I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Just because you are hosting multiple virtual sessions over your network doesn't mean your network card will be saturated or even anywhere near capacity. Have you done any investigation into how much traffic your sessions will generate? Typically these hosted sessions are engineered NOT to swamp your network or cause network related performance issues. In fact typically, your 10 or 15 sessions won't come anywhere close to causing the sort of network issues you are fearing may arise.

I suggest you do some more investigating into what the actual impact will be before engineering solutions based on speculation.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

For the amount of pcs your plan is overkill. You have to have a switch capable of one of the bonding protocols.
Closed Thread