Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Dropped laptop... internet problems!

This is a discussion on Dropped laptop... internet problems! within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I'm really not sure if this is the right location for this thread, but hopefully you can help

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys, I'm really not sure if this is the right location for this thread, but hopefully you can help me out.

My laptop has had problems in the past... It's 5 years old now, and an Inspiron 1545.

Previously I have had a problem with my internet, it didn't work at all (there was once a point at that time where it briefly worked when I plugged it directly into my router), but apart from that I've always used wifi.

Ried if you're reading this I'm sorry I never returned to that thread!

I got the laptop completely wiped and all my drivers reinstalled, according to the team who did it the computer was full of viruses.

Now, a year later, the internet isn't as it should be.
The only wifi enabled device I have in my house is my iPod Touch... which I can't find, so I don't know if the problem is due to my router/ISP... but from the outlook the router looks okay, all lights on it are green.

Anyway, on Friday evening I had just booted up my laptop when I dropped it upside down from about 20cm.

I went onto my browser (Firefox) and noticed that the webpages took so long to load...

I tried downloading a file from a VLE site about 1 minute ago and it was 1.5MB and is going so incredibly slowly, 28.0kb in and it says 11 minutes left; it used to take about 5 seconds

My ISP is TalkTalk and I'm trying to find out if they're having problems... but I think it's my laptop.

In the past month or so it might be worth noting that everytime I boot up my laptop there is a black screen with my cursor on it for about 1 minute before the WIMP appears (upon checking the task manager during this time, many services are seen as being "stopped".

Please help me out! Also currently I know my internet is working but the little icons indicate it's Local only and not internet and local, shortly after it's now back to local and internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It's possible that you may have done some damage by dropping it but if you go to the bottom of the TalkTalk home page and click on Support & Tools, it will check your connection and tell you if there is any problem with your exchange as well as providing a link for TalkTalk's speed checker.

You could also open a Command Prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd.exe and right click on the returned cmd to select Run as an administrator then type and Enter chkdsk

This is a read-only mode and will display if it has found corrupt files as well as any bad clusters on the HDD.

If it has found any bad clusters then you should back up all of your personal files in preparation for a failed HDD and then run the cmd chkdsk /r (in admin mode) after backing up your files as a repair can result in lost data.

If it just finds corrupt files then again from the cmd prompt as an administrator type and Enter sfc /scannow and let us know what it reports.

You could also boot up while tapping F8 and select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Startup Repair which you can run 2 or three times, if it reports that it is unable to auto repair the computer.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, ran chkdsk and all seems to be fine.
Today in the afternoon the internet connection was just so rubbish, and kept dropping out... checking things like emails were a nightmare and even displaying Google search results took a very long time.

I went onto Device Manager and changed my Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card's power management from "allow the computer to turn of this device if the power runs low" from On to Off... and I noticed that webpages seemed to be loading a little quicker.

However, when I tried to call my friend on skype the call dropped every 5 minutes and internet would sometimes drop out completely.

As for the TalkTalk speed checker, I don't think it's working??? It just stays on Step 3 Your Results.

Opened laptop case last night and checked out the WLAN card and it all seemed to be in the correct place.

Any other suggestions? Do you know how to use the speed checker? (The wireless test).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Currently the internet seems to be completely fine. Haven't tried skyping in a few hours (i just booted up the laptop like 10 minutes ago), but webpages are loading quickly and so are youtube videos
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I've just used the speed checker on Wireless and it was fine.

It sounds as if you have an intermittent fault, but go to Dell Support and check for any network adapter driver updates.

Are you using an ADSL filtered faceplate or microfilters and have you tried connecting to the test socket behind the faceplate when it's problematic ?

If it's still problematic when connected to the test socket then the fault will be on TT's side, but you could try changing the microfilter if using them.

Lag can occur when the SNR Margin drops and high errors occur, so a call to TT when it happens for a line test would show up any line faults.

You could also check the Service Status page to see if your area is affected as I think they are still working on problems caused by the high winds.

Check inSSIDer for any other users which could be causing interference if they have the same or stronger RSSI either on the same or adjacent channels.

The lower the RSSI value the better i.e. -50 is better than -80.
Closed Thread