Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Driver for WiFi dongle

This is a discussion on Driver for WiFi dongle within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm looking for the correct driver for a WiFi dongle on a Win 7 32 bit system. The only label

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I'm looking for the correct driver for a WiFi dongle on a Win 7 32 bit system.

The only label on the dongle is "802.11n"
I believe that the manufacturer is Mediatek or Realtek (one driver file is labeled MTK, the other is Realtek)

The hardware ID is: usb/vid_148f&pid_7601&rev_0000

The dongle (off eBay) came with a DVD disk with drivers but they don't work. In Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point.

I've searched the net (with this hardware ID) and have a number of hits that offer a variety of different files that are supposed to be the correct driver. However, they are all "exe" files and are a variety of sizes. That makes me very suspicious. The descriptions of these files also quote different OEMs and chipsets.

Can anyone help me sort out this confusion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

FWIW, new ones are $3.99 (USD) and that includes shipping: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9730-_-Product
Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Game Team Tech

https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/rt2870

mediatek drivers

realtek normally do ethernet drivers without knowing your motherboard make and model number, this driver is for Lan/ethernet drivers also they do sound drivers.

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

download cpu z it will tell you your motherboard make and model number.

After Installing it run it then click on the mainboard tab it will tell you the make and model number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32mids View Post
https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/rt2870

mediatek drivers

realtek normally do ethernet drivers without knowing your motherboard make and model number, this driver is for Lan/ethernet drivers also they do sound drivers.

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

download cpu z it will tell you your motherboard make and model number.

After Installing it run it then click on the mainboard tab it will tell you the make and model number.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but....
I'm trying to find the correct driver for a Wifi dongle not an ethernet card inside the computer. As such, I don't think that the model number of the motherboard makes any difference.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
FWIW, new ones are $3.99 (USD) and that includes shipping: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9730-_-Product
That's exactly what I have purchased but the drivers that came with it don't seem to work. If I'm unable to find the correct drivers, I'll probably buy a different dongle. They are so cheap that I wouldn't be losing very much.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Stick with a name brand model and you will have better support and an actual website with drivers and software.

Closed Thread