Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Damaged or Incorrect Cabling???

This is a discussion on Damaged or Incorrect Cabling??? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a network setup which consists of cabled, wireless and ethernet over powerline plugs. Quick Summary of My Network

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a network setup which consists of cabled, wireless and ethernet over powerline plugs.

Quick Summary of My Network
Internet Comes in from Street on Coaxial
Comes into a Modem/Router with Wifi at front of house
Cable runs from Modem/Router to 8 Port Switch
[8 PORT] goes to:-
1. PC a few metres away
2. Printer a few metres away
3. 5 port switch connected with 20m cable
4. Local Storage Device a few metres away
5 Switch a few metres away
6. Ethernet over Powerline Plug (Runs to 2 Other Plugs)
7. Lounge Room (Runs Apple TV)
8. Modem/Router with Wifi

[5 PORT] goes to:-
1. 8 port switch connected with 20m cable
2. Apple TV
3. Wireless Access Point
4. 5 port switch connected with 20m cable
5. BLANK

[5 PORT] goes to:-
1. PC with in 2 metres
2. Smart TV
3. VOIP Telephone
4. IPTV
5. Currently Ethernet over Powerline Plug (Would like this to be 5 Port switch connected with 20m cable)

The number 4/5 port is where im having problems. I currently have the last linked 5 port switch linked by Ethernet over power and everything works fine, how ever i would like to have a network cable in place which i have wired.

I plug the cable into each of the 5 port switches and the lights come on which indicates connection, however it does not obtain an IP address. Would i have to cable it all the way to the 8 port switch or would this work theoretically and the last cable i put in is damaged?

The cable is wired along side some coaxial cable would this cause the network cable not to work because of interference?

I have put a network cable tester on each end and the cable tests fine.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

It should work fine. A direct cable run would be no different than the powerline adapters. I suspect an issue with your new cable. For testing purposes, move the last (5 port) switch into the same room as the other 5 port switch and connect using a known good patch cable (ie: one of the cables from one of the other devices) and see what happens.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search