Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Cutting out after 30 mins

This is a discussion on Cutting out after 30 mins within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have virgin media with a speed of 200mbps and want to use all of it so here is the

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have virgin media with a speed of 200mbps and want to use all of it so here is the problem

I have a dell on826n (socket 775) motherboard which has a built in lan card which when I do a speed test it never gets over 100mbps

so I installed a 10/100/1000mbit lan card and did a speed test and it went over 200mbps and all was well for about 30 min's then internet crashes and I have to unplug if from the installed card and replace it back into the motherboard to get my internet back

Any ideas why this is happening any help would be gratefully received
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Are you connecting direct to a modem, or is it a gateway with multiple ethernet ports on the back? If your connected direct to the modem, try connecting the new NIC to it then reboot the modem. Also make sure you are using a CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cord.

Also, what do you mean the "internet crashes"? Do you get a error message? Do you lose your IP?

Finally what LAN card did you get? Have you checked if your running the latest drivers?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Its a gateway and I have 2 other computers running fine on it I am using cat7 Cables on all 3 computers.
What I mean by crashes is just stops and I get the red cross and it says no connections available as for the lan card its just a standard card PCLe Express 10/100/1000Mbit Lan Card all drivers up to date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

I am beginning to think its over heating is this possible ?? after 30 mins
Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

It's possible, but then again I don't know which NIC we are talking about. There is no such thing as a "standard" NIC card. All of them have specific model numbers and drivers.

Also, is it a PCI-e or PCI-e 16x? Did you put it in the right slot on the motherboard?

Finally, the motherboard itself is 10/100/1000Mbps so I don't know why you upgraded. However it's possible it's not a issue with the computer. Try swapping the ethernet between two PC and see if any change. This will test the ethernet and the port.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Cat7 is shielded cable. Shielded cable needs to be grounded and in the case of Cat7 [which I have not worked with] it appears it needs specific interfaces

CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7 and CAT7a Information

For grins and giggles I would suggest trying a Cat5e or 6 patch cable to see if that makes a difference.

Usually when you add a network interface you need to disable via the bios the built in one. This frees up the resources being assigned to the built in to be used by the add in card. Might want to consider that change.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for info But I got a new card and it all works fine now with cat 7 cable and I am getting 220mbps on all 3 of my computers very happyman
Closed Thread