Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

CCA & Copper Wire Cable

This is a discussion on CCA & Copper Wire Cable within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I saw this video and it's made me rethink buying cheap cable to wire things up. I assumed all

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

So I saw
video and it's made me rethink buying cheap cable to wire things up. I assumed all ca5e cable was created equally (apart from Solid / Stranded types), I was wrong!

I am wanting to wire Cat5e through the ceiling (solid as it's going to be punched down into a panel and a faceplate) and such and the installation will stay for at least a few years. Should I buy something more expensive like this or go for the cheaper but CCA Cable here.

Thoughts? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

It depends on your budget mate, personally I tend to give copper clad cable a wide berth.

If it's in your price range, go for cat6. It's only about £10 more than 5e.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey again MitchConner. *stays well away from Copper Clad* I'll pay more for better cable then:)

With regards to cat6 alot of people say not to use it on a home environment as there's not much of a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

It depends on your home environment mate, but cat6 offers better performance and future scalability.

Cat6 can be a bit of a pain to terminate in an rj45 thanks to the plastic core in the cable but I think it's worth the extra effort :)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'll have a look at some prices and see if I can make it work, thanks again dude!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hey, me again:P

Would it be okay to use solid wire to go from wall socket to wall socket rather than wall socket to patch panel? Wiring from the socket to a RJ45 gives a weaker connection or something?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Moderator - Networking

Not sure where that comes from mate :) As long as you terminate your cables properly, you won't have any problems going from a socket direct to the switch.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Late reply. Oh, I'll have to have another look because I'm sure that's what it said somewhere..

Some people say that it's harder to terminate solid cable into a RJ45 connector bit thing. lol

"Anyone who has ever tried to punch down stranded or crimp connectors on solid knows how much easier it is when you use the right cable for the right terminations. " - Here.

So I'll just stick with a wall plate and a switch? :))

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

James, here's my take. Do it right the first time and don't waste your time with CCA / copper clad aluminum wire. I've run miles of cable and won't use CCA.
  • Use good, name brand, solid, CAT 5E cable in ceilings and walls. Use plenum cable where called for if running through an air return.
  • Use good quality connectors & tools. Cheap tools will not last.
  • Stranded cable is primarily for making patch cables, not walls. Although you can use solid cable for patch cables, too.
  • Make all your cable runs home runs - each outlet or jack goes back to your demarc location. No splicing allowed.
  • Terminating cable is easy, it's not rocket science. Get yourself a cheap tester to make sure your connections are right.