Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Cat 6 line not working

This is a discussion on Cat 6 line not working within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For the longest time I had cable internet, and several years ago I ran a CAT6 line to my PS4

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

For the longest time I had cable internet, and several years ago I ran a CAT6 line to my PS4 with no issues. About 6 months ago I started using streaming tv service so I got a desktop switch and ran a second CAT6 line to my TV.

Now about 3 weeks ago I switched to fiber optic internet service, and as soon as that was installed the CAT 6 lines stopped working and I canít get the PS4 or the TV to connect with them. Iíve reset the devices, the router, the modem. Iíve tried all the ports on the router, and the indicator lights on the router for which ever port Iím in come on, and same with the desktop switch. My router is located at my desktop computer which is also connected via eathernet cable and works fine.
Also the router is brand new, I got it about a week before the fiber internet was installed.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

What exact equipment is in use?

How exactly is everything connected?

Have you reconfigured the router after the new service was installed?

At a minimum, you have a modem (a new fiber modem) and a router. If the desktop is working fine connected to the router, then any other devices which you connect to the router (they generally have 4 ethernet ports) should also be working.

I highly doubt it's a cabling issue as cabling has nothing to do with the type of service being used (ie: cable or fiber). More likely, some sort of connectivity or hardware configuration issue.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by reconfiguring the router. But I have a ASUS AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router. And the fiber optic modem provided by the Fiber company. I didn’t change the way anything that was connected to my router, the only thing that changed was going from cable internet to fiber. Everything else works as normal, desktop connects by Eaternet, WiFi works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 01:56 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckenna View Post
Not sure what you mean by reconfiguring the router. But I have a ASUS AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router. And the fiber optic modem provided by the Fiber company. I didnít change the way anything that was connected to my router, the only thing that changed was going from cable internet to fiber. Everything else works as normal, desktop connects by Eaternet, WiFi works.
You said you reset the router, which means you have to reconfigure it, unless you meant a power reset (ON-->OFF-->ON)?
Sounds like the physical link between the tv/ps4 and router/switch is working fine, but the configuration is not proper. Are the tv and ps4 configured for dhcp or static addresses? Also, are both cables working with the desktop (pc)? If you haven't tried that, do so to rule out the cables.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes when I said reset I mean disconnecting power and and then reconnecting it. I cannot connect them
To my desktop but did connect to a laptop and it said unable to obtain a IP address.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The router provides the IP address(s) (for your LAN), assuming it is configured to provide DHCP. DHCP is just one of the many things that you can configure and is what I was referring to when I asked if it was reconfigured. For example, for (Charter) cable, my router is set to obtain an IP from Charter for my connection to work. Other vendors sometimes provide a static IP, thus if the router is configured to obtain an IP, it won't...the static IP has to be manually configured. I don't know what fiber company you are using, nor how they want your router configured for the WAN connectivity (connection to the ISP).

As for your TV and PS4, the error provided by your laptop would indicate that DHCP is not enabled, thus your router isn't providing IP addresses to the connected devices.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, this is how the router is set up
And it appears DHCP is enabled, correct? Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	704AF752-2FC4-4292-BE63-5B0208494D28_1571237251827.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	324560  
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

From that screenshot, DHCP is enabled for WAN (the connection to the modem/Internet). It doesn't show DHCP settings for LAN (the connection to your PC, tv, ps4, phone, switch etc). Why don't you log into the router via a browser from your pc?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok this is what the LAN settings show from the desk top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD28A5E9-ABE4-498E-96FA-C30EE7D42697_1571256819379.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	324564  
Old 10-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Quote:
Ok, this is how the router is set up
And it appears DHCP is enabled, correct? Any other ideas?
This screenshot shows your Asus router as Offline. I would unplug the WAN & power connections to your Asus, wait 20 seconds then plug the power cord back in. Wait at least a couple minutes before plugging the WAN ethernet cable back into your Asus router.

Log back into the router using a computer/web browser and see if you have a WAN IP address - it may be on the "Network Map" page. If not, run the internet setup wizard in the Asus menu and verify your router is getting an IP address from your ISP.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #11
Registered Member

Ok I’ll give that a
Shot. However i do have internet, WiFi works fine the only problem is with a LAN cable that runs to my TV/PS4
Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Ok Iíll give that a
Shot. However i do have internet, WiFi works fine the only problem is with a LAN cable that runs to my TV/PS4
Get the cable that connects the switch to the router, unplug the switch end and plug it into the laptop. The router end should be plugged into one of the LAN ports of your router's inbuilt switch. Turn off wifi on the laptop and confirm if it has internet access while connected directly to router via cable, or if it at least acquires an IP address.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
Registered Member

I’ve tried that, it says unable to obtain an IP.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Iíve tried that, it says unable to obtain an IP.
Now take the cable that connects your desktop PC to the router and plug it into the laptop. Leave the router side connected to the same port. Reboot the laptop to make sure all networking services and drivers are reloaded. Check if it gets internet access.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Ok Iíll give that a
Sorry, I must have misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
The router end should be plugged into one of the LAN ports of your router's inbuilt switch. .
The wire coming from the ONT needs to go into the WAN port of the router.

Smckenna, who is your ISP and what is the model of your modem? Typically with Fiber, there's an ONT box you run your router's ethernet cable to, but no actual "modem" like the ones used for cable company internet access.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
The wire coming from the ONT needs to go into the WAN port of the router.
Correct. I was, however, talking about the wire that connects the desktop switch (probably a 5-8 port model) to the router. From the description, OP has cables running from the TV and PS4 to the switch. The switch definitely has to be connected to the router's LAN interface, not WAN, don't you think?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Registered Member

Ok my fiber provider is Greenlight Networks and it looks like the “modem” is intertek. And just to clarify I had the same
Router and everything hooked up the same when I had cable internet, once I got fiber the only thing that won’t work is the LAN that goes to a switch then to my TV and PS4.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #18

Stan, sorry, you were right. I was looking more towards the beginning of the network path and making sure the router had a WAN address.

Smckenna, the Intertek device is an ONT, not a modem. Do a bench test. Try plugging a computer directly into the Asus router LAN ports with a couple different network cables. If the computer gets online, you know the router ports still work. Then try reconnecting the switch in between your router and computer to see if a part or connection went bad.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member

Ok used a different cable and plugged my laptop into the router with it and it worked
Fine. Then plugged the cable that goes into the switch onto my laptop and nothing,
So problem with that cable then?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #20
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Ok used a different cable and plugged my laptop into the router with it and it worked
Fine. Then plugged the cable that goes into the switch onto my laptop and nothing,
So problem with that cable then?
Seems that way. Take the cable that worked (proven good) and replace the one that goes to the switch (suspected bad) with it, then connect the laptop to the cables that go to your tv/ps4 in turn. Confirm if it gets Internet access.
Closed Thread