Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Cat 5e T568B Termination

This is a discussion on Cat 5e T568B Termination within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all. I recently started learning how to terminate Cat 5e and 6 network cables. I read up on the

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hello all. I recently started learning how to terminate Cat 5e and 6 network cables. I read up on the subject and also watched a few YouTube videos to learn the basics.

Today I went and bought a Racheting Crimper and a few RJ-45 connectors. I already had a 50' piece of Cat 5e so I got started.

From looking at the attached picture, did I terminate both these ends correctly?

I want to say yes because I tested this piece of cable on my laptop connected to my router and the connection is good. Did a few pings and stuff and everything seemed good to go. No loss of packets.

Reason I ask is because from looking online and seeing various pictures of the color pin outs on an RJ-45 connector, it looks like mine is backwards.

What should be the number 1 pin position for the Orange/White wire, on the ones I terminated it's the Brown wire. Number 2 pin position which should be the Orange wire, I have the Brown wire. Number three which should be Green/White, I have Green. Number 4 which should be Blue, I have Blue/White.

I think you guys get the picture. So based on the color pin out and the pin number locations, I want to say I did it wrong. But if so, how come I had no issues with the LAN connection?

I'm I confusing myself here? I hope I don't sound like a total dummy. Again, I'm just learning this stuff and want to know how to do it correctly.

I look forward to hearing back from the rest of the members.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1428120467537.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	227058  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

When making Cat cables, you start with the "crimp" side facing up. The t568b standard is; O/w, O, G/w, B, B/w, G, Brown/w, Brown. Your cable is just reversed, no harm, as long as you have the same color scheme at both ends, then you will still have a straight thru cable.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
When making Cat cables, you start with the "crimp" side facing up. The t568b standard is; O/w, O, G/w, B, B/w, G, Brown/w, Brown. Your cable is just reversed, no harm, as long as you have the same color scheme at both ends, then you will still have a straight thru cable.
Thanks for the reply.

So even though mine is "reversed" it still works because the same color scheme is at both ends, making it a straight through cable. I understand this. If it was different at one end than the other, this would make it a cross over cable, correct?

Now, being that my mine is reversed, but yet still works, what's the point of the T568B standard, O/w, O, G/w, B, B/w, G, Brown/w, Brown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Quote:
If it was different at one end than the other, this would make it a cross over cable, correct?
Yes, as long as you swap the wires on pins 1,2,3, and 6.

Now, a hypothetical question; Lets say you are building a LAN at a company, and you are making your own patch cables, using the color scheme in your screen shot. All is good to go, you have made straight thru, and crossover cables.

Now you find another job elsewhere, the new IT person, has to redo some RJ-45 ends. So because there is the T586A, and T586B standard for Ethernet, that is what the IT person follows. After replacing one end on a cable, guess what is not going to work.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I understand what you're saying. Standards are made so they can be followed and everyone is on the same page.

I guess what I meant was that if I made mine reversed, how come it still worked even though it was reversed. But then I realized what you said, as long as both ends were the same, then no problem.

I understand now. Been making a few more patch cables to get the hang of it. Made a few following the T568A and T568B standards. Gonna keep trying and practicing. Some come out better looking than others. But all work.
Closed Thread