Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Cat 5 wall plate setup mystery colors

This is a discussion on Cat 5 wall plate setup mystery colors within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello im trying setup a cat5 wall plate but the colors in my cable dont seem to match up. Im

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello im trying setup a cat5 wall plate but the colors in my cable dont seem to match up. Im not getting an ip or connection so the cables definitely not working. Ive attached a pic. Has anyone seen this before. Last time i buy a cheap cable off ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_230934_1437898946965.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	245554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What does that cable say on the outside of it. it does not appear to be twisted pair to me.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

It says patch cable 5e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I've never seen one that's not twisted pair, I don't see it working at least at any speed or distance you'll find acceptable.

Patch cables you normally buy already made up with the ends but even those are made from twisted pair cable.

"Each of the four pairs in a cat 5 cable has differing precise number of twists per meter to minimize crosstalk between the pairs. "> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

Also note that Patch cables use stranded wire as opposed to solid wire and are not recommended for runs over 30'
Old 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Ditto what Wrench said. I've never seen CAT5 cable like that before. And when you use true twisted pair, you shouldn't have more than a 1/2" of it untwisted when terminating the cable.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #6
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

I concur. That cable is clearly not UTP. Even untwisted, it should have a permanent helix coil to the individual wires. It's a cheap knockoff cable marketed as Ethernet, but is not. It might transfer data, but the amount of noise induced in improperly twisted cabling will mean much slower transmission of data due to noise and timing-related errors. Your best bet is to toss it in the trash and buy true Cat5e cabling from a reputable vendor.

Closed Thread