Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Can't get network to work

This is a discussion on Can't get network to work within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm having a lan in our barn so i have a cable from our house out to the room we

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I'm having a lan in our barn so i have a cable from our house out to the room we are playing in, I'm not sure how long it is but i think a hundred meters or something.

But for some reason this is not working (It has worked before)
I have tested the cable with a cable tester - all fine
I have tried connecting the router outside to the router inside using a normal cable (Tested it inside next to he modem router) - all fine
And i have tried A Netgear powerline thingy and nothing works
And i have tried the cable directly into my pc- not working

I'm not very good with this so I'm not sure what to do next.
The cable is a cat5e.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
TSF Emeritus

Welcome to TSF!

How long is the cable exactly? 100meters is the max you can go and should not go any farther.

Did you or someone else put the ends on the cable or was this premade?
What kind of cable tester did you use and what test(s) did you perform?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Dad got the cable a long time ago, it was without ends just a long cable.
But he's not home right now so i have to wait for him to get home to ask how long it is, as for the other stuff

I made the ends, and the test looks a bit like this: RJ45 RJ11 Cat5e Cat6 Network LAN Cable Tester Test Tool | eBay
1-8 lights up fine The only one not lighting up is G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
TSF Emeritus

Do they all light up like 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3?

Which wiring standard did you use? 568 A or B?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

They all light up on both (except for G, what is G?) And after a quick google i found out i use T568B
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
TSF Emeritus

I suspect G is for Ground so you can test STP cable.

So you have 1 and 3 light, 4 and 7, 5 and 8 etc?

So what changed from when it was working to now?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

All eight lights light up, and i tested it on a cable with only 4 in (the phone cable) And that one showed 4,5,6 and 7 or something like that, so i know that the machine won't just report all when one is broken.

I can't remember anything happening to the cable, except it being moved.
The first time i set it up it was like in the picture, it comes up from the ground in a big red plastic pipe, the through a hole in the floor and over to the table.
But it was moved when we had a party there and i wanted wi-fi, i pulled it trough a pipe in the wall to the room next to the room where the cable comes up, and it has been moved trough the hole up and down a couple of times too.
Can't think of anything else the cable has just been laying there unused except for the small moves.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

If i can't fix the cable I'll try again with the powerline, because i know that it has worked before out there (could be i just connected it to the wrong outlet last time) and it is working now sending from the router downstairs up to my room to my computer.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
TSF Emeritus

What I was asking you concerning the lights was were they lighting up as they should?

A properly network cable would have when 1 lights so does 3 not 1 and 1 lighting up.
So tell me when 1 lights up does 3?
If 4 lights up what number on the other side lights up?

How did you run the cable thru the pipe? Did you use a wire puller?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

That's assuming the cable was wired as a crossover. If it's straight through, they should light up 1-to-1. Any modern equipment supports auto-MDX, so almost all router-router patch cables are wired straight through. I haven't had to use a crossover cable in more than a decade.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
TSF Emeritus

Good point Fjandr though "older" 2nd routers required a xover due to lan to lan connections which given the info in the post is what I would expect..

Are the wired balanced with the correct pairs?

T-568B
--------------------------
Pin Color Pin Name
--- ------------- --------
1 Orange Stripe
2 Orange
3 Green Stripe
4 Blue
5 Blue Stripe
6 Green
7 Brown Stripe
8 Brown

If the cable had been damaged by the move I would expect a break in continuity or show multiple pair connections. No evidence of this though.

if you plug in between the routers lan ports do you get lights at each end?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

The cable is wired like you posted, and if i use the cable the dsl light does not light up, and on the config page to the first router i can't see the 2nd router.
Dad is home today, so we'll try cutting the cable. The lan is starting at 18.00 today (in 2h and 45 min), so if we can't get it to work we'll just play offline.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
TSF Emeritus

We have been focused on the line. If you take the router from the barn to the house and hook it up to the first router does it work?

I am wondering if its misconfigured concerning ip address and the conflict is what is shutting everything down.
Closed Thread