Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Can I use a non data cable?

This is a discussion on Can I use a non data cable? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, This is a really stupid noob question and I probably deserve to be lashed with a good length

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All, This is a really stupid noob question and I probably deserve to be lashed with a good length of CAT5e for asking... but here goes:
For various reasons I need to hard-wire my network to a room in my home that is beyond WiFi reach (really thick walls) and I donít want to mount data cable through the house and on the walls. However, I found is a spare 8 core alarm cable conveniently there that I could use. The individual cables are similar to CAT5 cables but they are not twisted pairs. They have stranded cores and, to my amateur eye, look very similar to Cat5ís that I have installed in the past. So I connected the rj45's and the cables test fine with the tester but when I connect to a PC nothing works. PC reports no IP address found etc.

Defineately the cable? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks for your opinions. Iíll be ducking behind the table!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Wasting your time unfortunately mate :)

The twists in the cable are to stop the signal interfering with each other.

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Internet access
Suddenly three days ago my samsung nc110 netbook stopped loading webpages. It's connected to the router via wifi just fine. It's just this machine, my iPhone and my partner's phone connects ok and the Internet works fine on those I've done everything I can think of I've reset the...
Cenobitehell Networking Support 65 10-27-2012 10:20 AM
Infections / Malware / rundll32.exe error
My computer was last used by someone to download games and watch videos on the internet. The next thing I know, there were pop-ups. I am constantly getting these fake spyware removal pop ups. I tried going into control panel/add-remove programs and I get a 'rundll32.exe' error message. I used...
6one9 Resolved HJT Threads 54 05-16-2011 06:06 AM
Raid 5 Data Recovery What To Do When Raid Fails
If you're a big corporate house, you must know about Raid 5 data recovery because RAID is a kind of storage commonly seen in corporate high end computers. Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) is a technology that allows multiple disks to divide and replicate data, thus, perform ...
MoNnY Hard Drive Support 0 03-02-2011 01:36 AM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in todayís modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM