Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Call Me Stupid but how exactly would I wire this socket?

This is a discussion on Call Me Stupid but how exactly would I wire this socket? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I'm very new to network wiring but I just can't seem to understand this. I want to wire it

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi.

I'm very new to network wiring but I just can't seem to understand this.

I want to wire it with the B configuration but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you in advance!

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Nothing stupid about asking a question mate :)

The cable pin-outs should match the number on the socket:

1 - Orange/White
2 - Orange
3 - Green/White
4 - Blue
5 - Blue/White
6 - Green
7 - Brown/White
8 - Brown

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Moderator - Networking

Couple of cabling tips as well :)

Cut a long end off the sheath of the cable (a couple of inches is enough), untwist the wires, and put the individual wires as far down into the clip as you can. The ends of the cabling should point out towards the edges of the socket. Then punch down the cables.

Make sure you have your punch down tool cutter facing the same direction as the cable ends, otherwise you'll snip the wires and have to start over!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi!

Thanks so much for your reply!

If I wired it like this then it's correct? Yay for MSPaint (You'll have to use your imagination and replace the words with the colour of the wires lol)

Thanks for the tips too! I've never done this before and you've been really helpful!

I live in a 3 floor house with a pretty small attic (4/5 Bedroom). I want to give every room an Ethernet Socket. Going through the floors is not too much of an issue but how easy (and how?) can I get through the plasterboard interior walls with my wiring? I know it's a bit of a broad question so here's a picture.

(The Two rooms are right next to each other. The one has an ethernet cable coming up from the flooring.

I want to split this (probably using a switch?) connection and then wire a wall socket for both rooms. Is this possible to do easily? Thanks again for all the help!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Moderator - Networking

Yep, your cabling picture is spot on (and pretty good)!

I'd probably go for two separate cables down the hole in the flooring (if there's enough room) and have the switch near your router. But you can do what you need to do with the switch just as easily, especially if you don't want to run a few cable round the room (don't put them under the carpet!).

Old 07-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

I forgot to answer your question about the plasterboard.

Not a clue!

I usually leave that to someone a lot more capable than me and just do the cabling bit :)

Old 07-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks!
After you explained it to me looking at the colours now I feel pretty stupid lol but there's a first time for everything.

With the switch thing what I didn't include was the first floor where the router actually is lol. I currently have a router and an 8 port fast (10/100) switch. Thing with having 2 wires running up there is that I'd have to redrill the hole (it was originally for my TV, then I squeezed an Ethernet down it so I don't think there is going to be much room. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I guess I'll either call someone who knows what they're doing with plasterboard or go DIY and end up with a few holes and some messy wiring.

Would you say to stick with the socket idea or just give each room their own cable (that may break as people are not nice to cables )?

Thanks again - you've been very helpful!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Moderator - Networking

If you don't need to drill then just use a switch, although take this advice knowing it's coming from someone who doesn't 'tools'. I've not a clue on how easy/difficult that might be.

I like the idea of sockets, because over time those cables will end up looking nasty, and it's easier to replace a socket than a cable.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

I'll just stick with the existing wiring and use a switch then.

I'll go with sockets, they look neat and tidy and don't involve a cable that's lying around when not in use. And they are easier to replace than an entire cable.

Is this okay for a punchdown tool? Network Ethernet Cable Punch Down Multi Tool IDC Faceplate Krone cutter RJ45 | eBay (Say yay to FREE custom short urls!)

You have been a great help! More confident now - Thank you!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Moderator - Networking

That'll do the trick mate.

Looking at the main picture, the black bit on the top (with the scissor bit at the end) goes on the outside of the socket. Line up the thin bit between that and the big white bit with the slot on the socket and press it down (quite firmly) until you hear a satisfying click. You'll know it's punched down properly by checking the cable in the socket, you'll see it gripped really far down by silver looking prongs.

Those sockets can be a tight punching down when you have all the cables in the pins ready to go so as soon as it gets a bit tight, don't be afraid to give it a little bit of welly.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Cool! Cheap & Simple! I'll go ahead and buy one of those!

Scissor bit outside. Line it up, push down with some welly if needed and hear a satisfying click.

Thanks for explaining everything so clearly here!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
Moderator - Networking

You're welcome mate. If you get stuck just let us know :)

Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
Moderator - Networking

Forgot to mention, when you punch down, make sure you line up the cable so the scissors bit on the end of the punch down tool cuts the cable.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

I will do! Thanks!

I'll probably mess my first one up in some way but I'll get there!!

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
Registered Member

Hey me again!

Can anyone find me this on Ebay or Amazon / Similar please? (UK) I've seen it called a Single Gang Retrofit Box but am having trouble finding it.

I've tried searching for mounting bracket and wall plate but all I get are actual plates...

ALSO: Do I really need one?

All help is appreciated!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #16
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try starting here Networking Wall Plate | eBay

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #17
Registered Member

I've found what I needed from there, cheers!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 AM   #18
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You're welcome glad it helped.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #19
Registered Member

Thanks again for your help.

With Patch panels I wire /terminate one end of Solid wire to a socket and the other to the panel. I then have to add a patch lead from the panel to a switch for each connection I want active?
Old 07-22-2015, 03:45 AM   #20
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, I hope this will help Home networking explained, part 3: Taking control of your wires - CNET scroll down a little on the page.

Closed Thread