Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Cable vs. Wireless: Networking Scenario

This is a discussion on Cable vs. Wireless: Networking Scenario within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I'm having a networking trouble in my new house. My main router is the ASUS RT-N18U, and here is

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to Perseonn Send a message via Skype™ to Perseonn

Hello!

I'm having a networking trouble in my new house. My main router is the ASUS RT-N18U, and here is the scenario that I have:
  1. Current: Use a TP LINK TL-WA860RE to extend the range, but I find the performance is poor after several links (i.e. one TL-WA860RE connects to another TP Link router, which then connects to another TP link router).
  2. Run a 40 meters cable outdoor (this house don't have any ventilation, so running it indoor will require drilling through multiple walls). I have once run a 20m cable through my old house, but not outdoor. I have concerns that outdoor cable might not last long due o sunlight and rain.

Which one would be best in long term situation? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Non-professional opinion......

You're going to lose quality with every wireless hop. Ideally, you would want a hardwired connection from the router/modem to each wireless access point.

They make outdoor rated cable that should not degrade significantly for years. You can also run it in conduit to protect it.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Like this: Amazon.com > Outdoor Shielded Bulk Ethernet Cat5e Cable Black 100ft - $34.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to Perseonn Send a message via Skype™ to Perseonn

Thanks guys! :) I ended up buying a shielded cable as recommended. ^_^d

Note to self: Don't relay a wireless connection anymore ~
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Thumbs Up

You're welcome.
Closed Thread