Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Audio/Visual from Desktop to Monitor

This is a discussion on Audio/Visual from Desktop to Monitor within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Guys, Apologies if this isn't in the right place, you probably don't have a specific sub category for this

Old 04-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Apologies if this isn't in the right place, you probably don't have a specific sub category for this level of foolishness lol.

I've recently purchased a brand new desktop and 2nd hand monitor separately without paying attention to connections. The monitor is 1920 x 1200. Connections as follows:

Monitor:
VGA
DVI
DP

PC:
HDMI
DVI

There are also various bluetooth/jacks around.

So my question is what's my best way to go about connecting it up? The confusion is to do with whether HDMI can do 1920 x 1200? If so then the answer seems simple of getting 1 x HDMI to DVI. If not am I correct in thinking DVI doesn't carry audio? If so....does this mean having to get a HDMI to DP for audio and DVI to DVI for visual?

Unfortunately the monitor was only supplied with VGA and I don't have any of the above cables to test.

PC is new so all ports will be latest HDMI/Bluetooth tech. It has on board sound card (I think!). Monitor I think is 2012 model originally but not certain.

I'd like to know what you think is both the most efficient solution and also the best performance wise (if they differ).

TIA!
Rapid85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Does the monitor have built in speakers?

Only 2 kinds of cables carry audio.....HDMI and DP (display port).

Stay away from adapters if possible as they sometime don't work right....sometimes that can't be helped and one is needed. Then it depends on if the adapter needs to be passive of active. That said, I would buy a DVI to DVI cable. You must check what type of DVI cable is needed.... DVI-A, DVI-D or DVI-I.
You'll need to check your port type on the PC to match the cable.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Does the monitor have built in speakers?

Only 2 kinds of cables carry audio.....HDMI and DP (display port).

Stay away from adapters if possible as they sometime don't work right....sometimes that can't be helped and one is needed. Then it depends on if the adapter needs to be passive of active. That said, I would buy a DVI to DVI cable. You must check what type of DVI cable is needed.... DVI-A, DVI-D or DVI-I.
You'll need to check your port type on the PC to match the cable.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

No internal speakers but I was planning to buy the soundbar that goes with it.

Monitor: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell...or-accessories

Soundbar: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/ax51...v-home-theater

DVI link is very useful thanks. Both are DVI-D (dual).

What do you think the best course of action is for audio?

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What do you plan on using the speakers for.....just every day user or music and movies?

I use these with my PC setup......Logitech z313 2.1. Let me tell you....they are loud and super clear. Best $30 I ever spent on a PC speaker system. Amazon has the same deal I got mine at 10 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-.../dp/B002HWRZ2K
Old 04-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
What do you plan on using the speakers for.....just every day user or music and movies?

I use these with my PC setup......Logitech z313 2.1. Let me tell you....they are loud and super clear. Best $30 I ever spent on a PC speaker system. Amazon has the same deal I got mine at 10 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-.../dp/B002HWRZ2K
I do like Logitech (both keyboard and mouse are) and appreciate the recommendation but it's not really for me. The soundbar is going for like 12 on the bay and it clips onto the monitor, doesn't even need a power source and less wires so that's ideally the way I'd like to go.

Any ideas on the solution with this?

Thanks.

p.s. I'm in the UK and they're out of stock on Amazon UK.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

No....I don't know what PC make/model you have? If that sound bar is even compatible with your PC. That said.....any of your local IT shops should have some off the self PC speakers that are USB powered for next to nothing.