Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Any fibre gurus ?

This is a discussion on Any fibre gurus ? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, am wondering if anyone here has much knowledge on fibre installation ? One of my customers has just got

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hi, am wondering if anyone here has much knowledge on fibre installation ?

One of my customers has just got a second building, approx. 300m apart as the crow flies, or maybe 500m as the cable runs.

There will be a lot of network and telecoms traffic between the two buildings.
I'm assuming a fibre connection would be the best for this scenario.
I've got no knowledge of this, so am wondering if anyone else out there does ?

I've asked a local contractor for a quote. I'll be fine working at both ends.
Will appreciate any info.
There's a field and another building in between. I'm assuming we can get permission to run through these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

The land use in between buildings may actually be your biggest hurdle. You'll probably need to negotiate an easement with the property owners, and a lot of people are not very fond of granting easements due to the burden of having to maintain them typically forever (in an urban environment, anyway).

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
TSF Emeritus

A bundle of fiber between the buildings is the best but its not feasible due to cost of which getting permission from the other land owners is the least of your costs.

Unless you can get legal access to the underground vaults housing telecommunications, which isn't possible where I live, you have no way of running the fiber between buildings.

For phones, assuming you have PBX's at each site, its just a matter of T1 cards in the pbx's and a point to point T1/leased line between the buildings.

For site to site connection consider running a site to site vpn between the buildings. This requires a good amount of internet bandwidth at each end as well as the proper equipment which Sonicwall is recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Fjandr, and Wand3r3r,

"This requires a good amount of internet bandwidth at each end" : this is part of the problem - existing building gets about 6.5 Mb/s, and new building seems to be even worse at about 3.5 Mb/s

That's why I was hoping to at least connect the two buildings together directly.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
TSF Emeritus

Do you have line of sight between the buildings?

You may want to consider doing a wifi bridge between the sites.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Internal connections will be significantly faster between the buildings than what you get over your Internet connection.

As Wand3r3r suggested, a wifi link would probably be your best bet if you can see between the buildings at pretty much any point on the property. Be aware that you do need clear space above and below the line of sight due to how RF signals propagate. The longer the path, the more vertical clearance is necessary for a good wireless link.

Closed Thread