Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Always have to reinstall network driver and then reboot

This is a discussion on Always have to reinstall network driver and then reboot within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello guys! This is the first time I post here, so I apologize if I don't write in the right

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello guys!

This is the first time I post here, so I apologize if I don't write in the right board/thread etc.

So, my problem is that every time I boot my PC it says that the network cable is unplugged. When I go to the device manager there is a message that says: the Network Driver was unable to start.

I've found a solution: every time my PC boots, the driver should be uninstalled, and if it installs after the boot process everything is fine and working. So I have to uninstall the network driver before shutting down my PC.

My network card is the motherboard one, the devices name is VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter.

My motherboard is very old, I just want to revive this PC and don't want to spend money on a new network card if there is a solution.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The driver not loading would indicate a Windows issue as opposed to a hardware issue.

Ensure Windows is patched and up to date.

Also ensure you are using the correct driver as the wrong driver can cause similar odd behavior. Just because it seems to work when it's installed, doesn't mean it's actually the correct driver for the hardware.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

The driver installed is the default one downloaded by Windows.

I also tried to download manually some older or other drivers, the problem still occurs.
Also tried some software to detect my driver, installed those ones, still no luck.
Even tried to reinstall Windows on my PC, formatting all disks etc, the error is still there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

You have to go to the motherboard Mfgr site and download the newest ethernet driver
and then install jt. But you also have to realize that computer hardware isn't lifetime and you may just have to add an ethernet card yourself but you need to tell us yor hardware for further help.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

This is my motherboard:

Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Well MSI doesn't have any drivers for that board but try this from Via:
https://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

The driver is working but after restarting the PC the problem still occurs:

Still only solvable by uninstalling it then rebooting with no installed driver and only then installing.

Note that if I uninstall the driver with this error and try to reinstall it without reboot it isn't working. I get the same error, only restarting the PC with no device driver installed and only then installing the driver helps but only for the next boot.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Sound more like defective hardware. Disable the Ethernet in the bios and get a usb Ethernet stick.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

My System

I would agree with GentleArrow. USB wifi is another option if you need mobility.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleArrow View Post
Sound more like defective hardware. Disable the Ethernet in the bios and get a usb Ethernet stick.
Agreed. Replace the NIC. I'd go with an internal wired card as a first preference.

Sorry, just realized this is almost 2 months old