Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

A special coax cable for modems?

This is a discussion on A special coax cable for modems? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. We are having problems with a weak wifi signal. Our tech guy suggested extending our modem's cables to move

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Psychotron Send a message via MSN to Psychotron Send a message via Yahoo to Psychotron

Hello. We are having problems with a weak wifi signal. Our tech guy suggested extending our modem's cables to move it into another room. He said we would need a special coaxial cable to do this. He said it's the one that comcast uses I believe.

We went to radio shack and they didn't know what we were talking about. They said it didn't exist.

So our tech guy went on vacation for a month and we're now kind of confused about what to do.

Does anyone know if this cord exists and what it is? From what I understand from my parents he wants to basically use extension cords for every cable on the modem and move the modem to a different room as a test.

He said he needed to use a certain room because it is one that has a coax outlet. I'm not sure why we would need a coaxial cable outlet if we're just extending all the cables, but that's another thing to ask I guess.

It would really help if someone could let me know anything about this type of cable. Or if someone has any idea of what ourtech guy could be talking about.

Thank you,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

Just a regular coax cable is all you need. Nothing special as long as the ends are the same.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

It does not matter where the modem is, now the router is another story. Do you have a combo router/modem?

As far as a special cable, possibly he was talking about the cable type. Check your cable. It should say what type it is on the black casing. If it says RG59 (the most common) then that could be what he is talking about. He could be wanting you to get RG6

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stange Network Cable Connection Problem
Strange Network Connection Problem Some patch cables Work, some donít with New AMD Gigabyte computer. A very frustrating network connection problem. Please read background carefully to understand this strange problem. Any feedback to explain the situation below would be greatly...
JKNet Cabling and Network Cards 2 04-19-2011 08:49 PM
About Coax cable
Hi, I have car alarm with regular wire antenna, I Tried make it coaxial antenna, i soldered the center of the coax to the antenna pin, and the shield of the coax i soldered to the Ground of the Alarm. Now that space betweeb the coax to the pins are something like 3-4cm, and its not good.......
Jamshu Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 1 03-28-2011 09:28 AM
Another cable connected but no internet access problem.
OK, Ive read several forums on this issue and nothing is working. I have plugged my computer into the modem by way of a Ethernet cable and I immediately got a Local Area Network 2 icon that said a network cable is unplugged. Ive checked the cable with this PC, and it works. i tried this:...
publiccovert Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 14 03-08-2011 09:00 PM
Cable coax ground wire fried
After losing my high-def cable box and hdmi input on lcd tv I noticed the green ground wire on my outside coax was fried away from connector and the ground post. How can this happen? My power company has been digging all over my yard and street to make in ground repairs this last year and the...
Phish568 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 2 01-03-2011 12:07 PM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in todayís modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM