Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

850nm single mode cable with sc connector

This is a discussion on 850nm single mode cable with sc connector within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Customer says they have 850nm single mode fiber with SC connectors run from one location to another. I need to

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Customer says they have 850nm single mode fiber with SC connectors run from one location to another.

I need to get a fiber to ethernet media adapter or a fiber network interface card.

After an entire day of googling and researching, I believe it does not exist.

Either the customer is wrong about 850nm or wrong about single mode.
I have faith that he is correct with SC.

I'm assuming customer is unfamiliar and winging it. The location is far away to have a look see.

Can I get the required information by having him tell me what is printed on the cable and what color it is? (as well as in-focus pictures of the connectors.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

The 850nm is multimode, multimode ranges between 850, and 1300nm. While single mode ranges between 1310, and 1550nm

Startech has affordable media converters.
https://www.startech.com/Networking-...verters/Fiber/

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

what are they using the single mode connection for now?
distance between points?
what is you are trying to accomplish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleArrow View Post
what are they using the single mode connection for now?
I don't know whether it is single or multi. Customer said 850 single and that doesn't seem to exist.

Quote:
distance between points?
Longer than copper would allow.

Quote:
what is you are trying to accomplish?
We would like to move packets from one location to another.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

You clearly don't have enough information.

First question was what is the fiber being used for now? What the customer said about size doesn't matter and most likely is the total size of the cable not just the core. Knowing what its being used for now will give you a clue as to the type of fiber.

Second question was about distance since if you knew that you would know if single or multimode.

3rd question with the result of moving packets.... isn't an answer. You can move packets at kilobits or gigabits. Again that will give you a clue as to what the fiber should be.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I have to agree with alpenadiver odds are its multimode.

"Typical transmission speed and distance limits are 100 Mbit/s for distances up to 2 km (100BASE-FX), 1 Gbit/s up to 1000 m, and 10 Gbit/s up to 550 m"

Question I would ask is what equipment is the fiber connected to now? If FX then you know the distance and max speed available.
Closed Thread