Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

3rd PC connected to router started causing serious lag

This is a discussion on 3rd PC connected to router started causing serious lag within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Quick description of issue: I've been using 2 PCs on 1 router for a while without ANY problems. And since

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Quick description of issue: I've been using 2 PCs on 1 router for a while without ANY problems. And since I' a gamer, I keep an eye on pings and stability of connection. So far it was perfect even if on 2nd laptop someone was watching HD YT movies. I have 20Mbit connection so it's more then enough for this. Once I setup 3rd PC, the problems begun. First of all, I cannot get full speed on 3rd PC - all speed tests shows 5-6 Mbits max - even when I changed network adapter to new 802.11n - still the same. And whenever I'm using internet on 3rd computer - even just launching a www page - connection on 2 other PCS is almost dead (pings 500-3000)

1. Network wireless
2. Ipconfig at the bottom
3. Netia (Poland)
4. ADSLII
5. Router TP LINK W8961ND
6. Not sure which computer is problematic. I assime the 3rd PC. I installed fresh win 8. Tried without antivirus and later with Avira free.
7. Xirrus -

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jarekexe>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SzybkiJarek
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8A-1A-67-5E-20-18
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-1A-67-5E-20-18
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d50b:4f0b:b1f3:f467%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 sierpnia 2014 10:49:23
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 sierpnia 2014 10:49:22
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335026791
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-92-4A-E4-D4-3D-7E-4A-FA-95

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\Jarekexe>

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
TSF Emeritus

So if you physically disconnect the 3rd pc from the router everything works fine?
You did a completely new install of windows 8? Is that the OS the pc came with?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't even have to disconnect 3rd PC. As long as Im not using internet connection there (not downloading, not browsing www) - everything is fine.

Yes, completely new installation of Windows 8. Actually few times becauase I also had corrupted HDD issue - solved now.

I built this PC from scratch, so it didn't have any OS preinstalled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
TSF Emeritus

All hardware 8 certified? might want to compare its out/inbound nic stats with those of the other pcs. It appears it maybe doing too much talking [jabber nic] but that would affect the entire lan not just internet. Just internet can be an indication of malware.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, now I need some translation :)

All hardware 8 certified?
- no idea. how to check? but this PC was working well in another network as a single unit without a problem, so I believe we can cross that out

Might want to compare its out/inbound nic stats with those of the other pcs
- how do I do that?

It appears it maybe doing too much talking [jabber nic] but that would affect the entire lan not just internet
- I haven't checked how is LAN doing during those issues, will try to do some tests

Malware
- very unlikly with so many formats and reinstalls
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
TSF Emeritus

Q1: Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

Q2:https://www.microsoft.com/resources/....mspx?mfr=true

Q3: refer to Q2
Old 09-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hello, Im back

Of course as expected - win 8 upgrade utility confirmed everthing is compatibile.

I made few simple tests and the results don't make much sense to me

Before I start, qucik explanation. Router and firts 2 PCs are in living room. 3rd PC is in another room. Distance is around 6m

1. I brough 3rd PC to main living room and connected it with wire to the router. Surprise - everything is working fine.

2. Then I unplugged it and tested wireless. Again everything working perfect.

After that I was almost sure that it's because of the distance. But then I took laptop (2nd PC) to the other room (5-6m away) and the laptop didnt cause any problems. I took 3rd PC again back to the other room and it's causing lag again.

Im at a loss... I dont really wanna spend a lot of money for new good router just to find out that it wasn't the case. I already got new wifi network card for 3rd PC, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

Bump.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi there,

In addition... It might be worth giving a try buying a new router. Buy it from a reputable Vendor so just in case you'll have to return it hassle-free.
Quote:
Im at a loss... I dont really wanna spend a lot of money for new good router just to find out that it wasn't the case. I already got new wifi network card for 3rd PC, but that didn't help.
Just my 2cents!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

A good router should be able to run 5 pcs without any system drag but I'm afraid that router is poor quality and if not brand new probably degraded over use making it even poorer quality. BTW TP Link does have a better quality line of routers and I found them worse than the real cheap ones as hard as that is to believe.
Honestly, ever since Linksys was merged with crap maker Belkin and DLink went down hill where Netgear was always there down hill IMHO, it is getting harder and harder to buy a good quality router these days and a $49 router was never good quality. my 2 cents!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread