Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Wireless suddenly super slow on D-link router

This is a discussion on Wireless suddenly super slow on D-link router within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there. So yesterday I noticed my download speed was running pretty slow and ran a few speed tests to

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey there.

So yesterday I noticed my download speed was running pretty slow and ran a few speed tests to confirm. I'm in the UK - we currently are on BT Infinity Fibre package so should be getting speeds of around 35MB.. usually I get download speeds of 4MB/s... the last couple of days I have however not been getting more than 700KB/s.

Because the main router in the lounge doesn't reach our bedroom, we cabled another router in via ethernet and use this for the wireless in the bedroom. This router is the D-link DIR-632 and we haven't had any problems prior to this. The speed has always been top-notch.

However, judging by running speed tests in the lounge, we found that the speeds are fine there, whereas the speeds in the bedroom from the D-link router are what are performing slowly.

We have run many speed-tests, reset both routers, and I've run some analysis, but it doesn't seem like there's any reason for it to be running so slowly?!
We had it on Channel 11 for the past year as that was what was the least busy channel in the apartment block we are in, but to test whether that was the issue, we changed it to Channel 6 in the hope it may fix things.
Alas, it hasn't made a difference.

Is there any other options or troubleshooting we can try? I'm not really sure what else could be affecting it.
When I've ran wifi analyzer on my Android phone it states the latency is too high (but I'm not sure what to do about that?) and sometimes that link speed is too slow or channel overlapping, but it fluctuates a lot.
There are 6 apartment buildings in the block so I'm not sure what channel we could possibly leave it on for the least interference!

If anyone has any ideas on what else to do though, we would be very grateful :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

download and run xirrus wifi inspector. post a screen shot of what it sees.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

I only have a macbook but I may be able to get my partner to download it on his win laptop.

Is there any similar program for mac?

We've also noted that it's really erratic, as in one speedtest we will get 3MB and the next we will get 8MB... it's not the main router and the ethernet tests we have done have all come back fine. So it's gotta be a wireless fault or interference?
Closed Thread