Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless DSL connection problems

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  joedykie 
#1 ·
I'm trying to configure a desktop to wireless connect to a wireless network. I've already gotten another desktop and a laptop to connect wirelessly to a Westell DSL modem router.

The pc i'm having problems with could see the wireless connection, and i am able to connect to it (after entering the WEP key). However, when I'm connected, the PC isn't assigned an IP automatically (the other pcs are configured that way). If I repair the connection, I'd get a reapair attempt failed error msg, and an IP that's not consistant with the IP range.

I've also (tried) setup the home network. On the other PCs, i've used WORKGROUP as the workgroup and they connect to the router without any problems. With this PC, I'm using the same network setup, but i'm unable to see the other PCs and access the router.

I thought re-installing XP would help (time for an upgrade to Pro anyway), but the problem occurs before and after the re-install.

Is there something on the modem/router i have to change? Could it be just renewing the IP/DNS?

#2 ·
Try the following.
First,
click on start
go to control panel
go to network connections (or network and internet connections, then network connections)
right click on the local area connection and go to properties
highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the properties button
make sure there is a dot next to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'

Let us know if this works.
:winkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.