Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Wired internet speed low on laptop, and it's the laptop

This is a discussion on Wired internet speed low on laptop, and it's the laptop within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am in Canada and have 500 mb download/20 mb upload speed with Rogers Cable. I originally had 250

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hi, I am in Canada and have 500 mb download/20 mb upload speed with Rogers Cable. I originally had 250 mb down and was getting 250 most times, but with lots of jitter. I would visit a site and images would take a while to load, and then all of a sudden were ok. I've run tests on different browsers. I have one browser set up to delete all cookies and history when I close it so that I can test things cleanly.

I had a technican here who wired his laptop (using my own network cable) to my modem and he got the full 250 mb download (with no jitter in the graph) on several tests, then we upgraded to 500 mb and he got the full 500 (and more). I still don't go over about 250 (300 on occasion). He suggested it must be something on my laptop and I agree.

I've removed malwarebytes and disabled automatic backups to the cloud. I temporarily disabled Bitdefender to run the test, but it made no difference. I'm on Windows 10 and started in safe mode with networking before testing. Same results.

Does anyone know of any other things or types of programs that may be not allowing me to get close to the 500 mb? Reformatting the laptop and reinstalling everything is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, what is the make and model of the laptop, have you tried reinstalling the network driver from the laptop makers support pages for your model.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Joeten - thanks. It's an HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2. I have it connected via USBC to a Dell hub but have also tried it using an HP dongle wired to a Cat7 ethernet cable (the same one the tech used) and have the same results. Not sure why there's no ethernet on this notebook! I guess it's meant to be used wirelessly. Wireless speed is about the same 300-325 mb down. Before the speed upgrade from 250 to 500, I would get 100 mb download wirelessly on average.

Here's another thing I just noticed. I should be getting 30 mb upload. I am getting this wirelessly but only 20 mb upload when I'm wired.

The HP update says no updates are available and so does the website. I looked in device manager and it shows my network adapter is the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller. HP had one Realtek GbE driver that I could download, so I did. Installed it, restarted the laptop and there's no change.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Oops, (if it matters) I meant to say I'm connected using a DOCK, not a hub.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi there are a few different models within the range but one thing I found after digging around was this ( HP includes an USB-C-to-Ethernet dongle if you need wired networking access. 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 handle wireless connections.) have you been using that.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi... thanks. I don't usually use the dongle because I need the USB-C port on the notebook to connect to the dock for my monitor, but I have tested my speed using the dongle too, as recently as an hour ago (in case it's the dock that's the issue). I have the same results with the speed only hitting the low 300's. I also switched off the HP Velocity setting (which is supposed to help with packet loss etc) and it made no difference in speed.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

How are you testing IE something like this Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

That's exactly what I'm using and that's what the techs used too. I'm using the Rogers servers to test (as they did).
Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try finding the driver using the video info here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...30-g2/14169372 I would expect a small loss in the speed on wifi but not quite as much as you mention, one other thing you might try is reinstalling the chipset driver for the motherboard.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

I will try that, thank you! Actually wifi is bad in my house. I believe there is something interfering and it could be my neighbours as the houses are quite close. When I had 250 mb dl speed, my wifi (1 foot away from the modem) was about 150 mb.

Stay tuned... and thank you very much for your help!!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You may need to change the router channel, I will post later on how to do that at work right now.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks! Wouldn't the router channel be for wifi though? My concern is that I'm getting an average of 325 mbps on a wired connection and am paying for 500 mbps.

I visited the HP support site from the video you linked and it took me to the list of drivers I saw yesterday. They don't make it very easy as there are 9 network drivers (I updated the Realtek one yesterday as it made sense. Others were for Broadcom ethernet controller and wireless lan drivers etc.) and there are 8 chipset drivers... AsMedia extensible host controller (xHCI) driver, Intel Chipset installation utility, intel dyamic platformand termal framework driver, intel HID event filter driver, intel management engine driver, intel sensor hub components driver, intel serial 10 driver and intel virtual buttons driver.

Fiona
Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

There is a sticky which might assist you on looking at the drivers https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...rs-419050.html

Old 04-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks! Very helpful!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The free trial version of this should let you see who is using the same channel as you https://www.riverbed.com/gb/products...ree-tools.html you can then go into your router settings and change it to the one with the least or zero users, this might help with the wifi speeds.
Your particular model of laptop appears to only have the type C dongle for ethernet.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks again! I am not as concerned about the wireless speed as I am with the wired, but I will try this anyway. I have updated my ethernet driver and chipset driver, but no change in speed. I think even if faster wifi was possible, my laptop for some reason will not go over 350 Mbps wired or wireless
Old 04-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #17
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Ok, so here's an explanation why:

When you have a download speed of 350 Mbps, your actual download speed is 350/8 MBps (note the capital B which indicates bytes lowercase b indicates bits) that is about 43.75 MBps so why don't I get this number ?

There would be leakages due to various limitations, cables, connection points, hardware, firewalls etc..

Now the 2 most important factors which could limit this speed is a) Ethernet card b) Hard drive write speed.

If your Ethernet card support Gigabit, this can be ignored. Wireless on the other hand is a different story, depending on the Wireless type b/g/n/ac the speed will be determined. You would never get 100% of the theoretical speed due to environmental factors.

Now coming to the hard drive, if your hard drive can only write at 30 MBps, any speed above 30 MBps would be useless since the Hardrive cannot write the information that it gets so becomes the threshold which could be another reason.

You might want to test these 2 to confirm. For starters, find out the Hard drive write speed using any application (can't remember one off the top of my head maybe someone else can suggest) To fully utilize the speeds available, you might have to switch to a SSD which can write speeds higher than your traditional mechanical Hard disk drives.

And regarding Speedtests, I usually don't go with Ookla or similar ones because they only speed test to the last node, I usually prefer speedof.me which actually does a file download from the browser so gives me a more accurate picture of the speed.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05355646#AbT6 the laptop has AC.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #19
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Oopsie, so looks like it already has a SSD and AC WiFi ? My bad :(

Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #20
Registered Member

Tristar - thanks for the info anyway! I still can't figure this out. When I had max 250 Mbps service, I would get a max of about 325 Mbps during a test. Apparently Rogers gives you more if it's available. Now that I have 500 Mbps service, I get a max of about 350 Mbps. I think there is a clue in the number... I have seen the speedtest go as high as 350 Mbps but NEVER over 350. I'm guessing there is a setting somewhere that tells windows not to go over this speed.

Of course, download speeds in the 300's are just fine for my purposes, but I really have to get to the bottom of this for my own curiosity.
Closed Thread