Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

WiFi works with some streaming services not others

This is a discussion on WiFi works with some streaming services not others within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Roku player attached to my TV -- it's an old one, a Roku 1 because I

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I have a Roku player attached to my TV -- it's an old one, a Roku 1 because I need composite cables for my old TV. I have a Netflix account and have no streaming problems at all. Ditto on just about every free streaming channel I try. But... Amazon Prime streams for about 30 seconds then buffers about 30 seconds, repeat, obviously unwatchable. Do different streaming channels have different WiFi requirements?

Also --- I was looking for the right forum to post actual Roku player questions. I cannot get any human connections to Roku.com and their canned answers are useless for what I need. Is there a forum for this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

From what I can find on the Amazon site 3.5Mb for HD 900Kb for SD

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

They might have their own restrictions in terms of bandwidth, but that should not impact the video quality, were the tests done at almost the same time interval ?

Also, do a speedtest when you're testing Amazon's streaming, do you see anything out of the ordinary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you joeten and Tristar.

I hadn't thought of doing a speedtest while trying to access Amazon. I've installed a new modem/router that I had purchased but not yet connected. Then I broke one of my cardinal rules and changed a second thing before I retested the first. I upgraded my Roku player. Amazon Prime works now, but I don't know which change fixed it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Glad it's working for you.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Exclamation

Sounds like a dns issue.

Your isp routes information in a certain way down certain channels. If that channel is dedicated to amazon then everyone accessing amazon prime on your isp then it would make sense as to why it keeps slowing down.

You may want to try a different primary and secondary dns.

There are how to guides, and even some free software to determine the best overall dns for you in your area. But I would suggest giving google's dns servers a try first.

Sadly I am typing on a tablet but you can quickly find google's dns ip address to use on your router and modem.

It doesn't cause any alarms and is easy to set up on a router.

The secondary problem that I see with the amazon prime service is its locality. In order for amazon prime to stream flawlessly they send out data mines that look like briefcases to hubs around the world to decrease the need to connect over vast miles of land to reach your home. Your dns may be routing you to a further location than it should. The software in amazon prime does a simple ping test to determine which data mine you should access. And sometimes a dns error will cause you to connect to the incorrect data mine.

A failure in the dns server can be a number of things including wires being down for maintenance, downed PowerLine, power outage at the data center, or sometimes the data mine itself is having its own internal issues such as chisels becoming complacent, hard drive failure, and other things. Basically there are a lot of mechanical points of failure with streaming services.

So again you may want to try a different dns server before purchasing any new modems, routers, or streaming devices.

You can also initiate a ping test on your main computer that is hooked up to your router to see if it is a dns issue simply by running a command prompt and typing in ping https://www.amazon.Com and it will ping that website and tell you if it has packet loss or not. After you change your dns server run this ping test again and it should give you different results.

As a last ditch effort try getting a new ip address from your is. This one requires some tinkering with basic file settings with your Internet connection. Search for new ip address in Google and it should show you how to do it. You don't need to install anything to get a new ip address you just have to remember to reset everything once you are done.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have currently resolved the issue with hardware updates, but I kept a copy of your response in case the problem recurs.

Thanks so much for your time in putting this troubleshooting and fix in writing!
Closed Thread