Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

WIFI router question

This is a discussion on WIFI router question within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have my ISPs router in my living room, everything that uses WIFI is also in my living room. Recently

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimE
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have my ISPs router in my living room, everything that uses WIFI is also in my living room. Recently I have been getting numerous advertisements for Super WIFI Routers that claim they are fastest, no connection issues etc. Are these routers worth the money or am I fine with my ISPs router. Will one of these super WIFI routers enhance my WIFI? Also if I take the leap would I connect it in line with the current router or would I connect it straight to the Ethernet cable coming into my home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If everything is working, just leave it alone.

Having said that, connections will only be as fast as the band which they are using. Most household devices only connect and use 2.4ghz. Any semi current router has 2.4 and 5ghz bands available. Faster speeds are available on the 5ghz bands. Last I checked, the only devices in my home using 5ghz were our phones. Basically it all boils down to the devices in use and which band they are using. And if everything is already working fine, more "speed" isn't going to be noticeable anyway.

More information than you likely want to ingest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
https://www.minim.co/blog/wifi-frequ...-ghz-and-5-ghz

As to the router, you would simply replace the existing router with the new one. If your current unit is a modem/router combo, then you would need to swap it for a modem. The new router would then connect to the modem.

You could use two routers, but there is no benefit in your scenario. It's just another device sucking electricity and another possible point of failure.
jdsmort likes this.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
If everything is working, just leave it alone.
I completely agree with Jim. If you are not having any real issues in your home with all of your WiFi devices then simply ignore the marketing campaign targeting your specific wallet.

The only reason why I own my own router and my own modem is to save myself money from "rental fees." The initial down payment to buy your own router and modem combination can cost anywhere from 180 dollars to 500 is all down to what your specific needs would be.

Questions to ask yourself: Are you playing video games on your wifi devices? Are they action based twitch gameplay that requires your every input to gain an advantage? Then yes. Purchasing your own internet modem and router would be the way to go as rental modem router combo's are never good enough. But if you are not playing games like counter strike, rainbow six, PUBG, Fortnite and so on (or anything on console or PC. Console being a nintendo switch, a playstation 4, xbox, Wii, ouya, stadia.) then what you have is already the best that WiFi can offer.

If you are watching Netflix, Hulu, youtube, or any video service on a regular old 1080 P TV? then you already have the best WiFi setup. If you have a brand new 4K TV? Then you might want to buy that wifi router modem combo. But chances are the router modem combo you already own can already handle 4K movies and video. (4K resolution is above 1080P to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K would require you to own a movie theater sized screen. a 50 footer. not incher.) So unless you own your very own personal 50 foot movie theater screen then you really don't need 4K resolution. The only thing that you would be able to tell the difference on is frame rate.

If you are using the WiFi on your phone, tablet, PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS, or any handheld gaming device that is not the Nintendo switch, then you already have the best that WiFi can offer to those devices.

If you have Alexa, google, or the apple Siri voice command in your home? Any wifi signal works best for those devices already as the amount of information those need to run can be done with a 56K modem (Dial up internet speeds at 56K. Think America Online when it first came out.)

So what ever marketing campaign is currently being flashed before your eyes causing a doubt in your own setup is nothing more than a campaign to get you to spend that money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks all for your contributions to my question. Lots of info here. The Con-Sept I do use my modem for gaming I have that one device connected through Ethernet however. I wonder if my own modem/router would improve game play for me? As an example I like flying sims like DCS and X-Plane. They seem to require a lot from my GPU/CPU and are heavily taxing on my FPS. If I did buy in to my own would I be interested in a modem/router or just a modem?
Old 01-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Let me take a look at the environment you have based on model numbers of the modems and or routers you have purchased or currently have setup. And the Internet Service Provider you have (company name and speed in Mbps purchased.)

Depending on how many people are connecting to your network is also a consideration. If you are the only person using the internet then you may already have the best you can possibly get already, and will not need anything else.
Closed Thread