Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Wifi radios and/or router crashing, multiple brands

This is a discussion on Wifi radios and/or router crashing, multiple brands within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'd like to know what might possibly be causing each of the three routers I've bought this summer to gradually

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I'd like to know what might possibly be causing each of the three routers I've bought this summer to gradually develop severe crash and reboot behavior.

I had a Netgear AC1750 R6400 that began rebooting constantly after a month of use. I put up with this for about another month, did a deep dive trying to research and troubleshoot the issue with zero luck.

I replaced the original Netgear with an Asus AC1900 RT-AC68P which started to frequently turn off its Wifi radios. Pressing the hardware Wifi button or turning back on via the browser interface usually fixed it temporarily but often would turn off again within 5 minutes.

I replaced the Asus with a Linksys AC2200 EA8300, my current router, and after a couple days in use is now rebooting randomly as well, every 30-60 minutes. It comes back up by itself after a couple minutes.

Is it possible my ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 cable modem or some other external force like Comcast DHCP/DNS is mucking things up no matter what router I use? It's definitely the router being affected, the cable modem never seems to crash from what I can tell watching the indicator lights.

The routers and modem are well ventilated in an open space with USB fans drawing air directly from the cases. The Asus had temperature data and was usually around 55 deg C for the proc, 35 and 45 for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios respectively. I don't have logs saved from the older routers and the Linksys logs are worthless. This happens whether my PC is connected via wifi or ethernet. I'm at my wits end, any ideas are appreciated. Do I just have the dumbest luck ever and received 3 duds from 3 mfg? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I wouldn't expect the modem to have any affect. The modem to router connection is an ethernet connection, so if anything, I'd expect it to simply not connect or not pass data.

A router rebooting, is typically a sign of faulty hardware. Wifi being disabled would also be a router issue.

The only thing that comes to mind would be (AC) power.

Otherwise, I'd suspect faulty hardware (routers). As they all died quickly, at least they should have all been covered under warranty (reseller or manufacturer).

Closed Thread