Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

What are the disadvantages of streaming services?

This is a discussion on What are the disadvantages of streaming services? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently heard about this thing called digistream. Apparently you just pay a couple hundred bucks, get this box and

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently heard about this thing called digistream. Apparently you just pay a couple hundred bucks, get this box and hook it up, and you can play anything that exists online. Now of course everything has a catch, so what is the catch with this?

I currently rent dvds through netflix because a) there is a better selection of independent, foreign and classic films, b) the quality of the picture is better, and c) I don't trust free films online.

So what's the deal with digistream and other services like it? Are the films that are available pirated? Are they not official versions of the films, is the quality poor, or are there other issues?

Hope you can clarify this for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

They are often pirated versions and thus low quality (think recorded from a movie screen). As sources like this are found they are often hit with a case-and-desist/DMCA violation notice so reliability would be an issue. I'd much rather pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream. plenty of 1080P and 4K content, great price, varied selection and I KNOW it's legit and safe.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

That's what I assumed. Can anyone tell me about digistream specifically? There doesn't seem to be anything online about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

There are several similar products available, or even a product such as Roku. The only real quality streaming content will be from pay services (ie: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.). The box itself is just used to run the apps to access the services. As with Roku, there are some free services, but the content is rather limited. And of course there are apps which allow to you illegally watch content (typically done using torrents).

In the end, you are paying for a device to run apps (to access streaming content). Not for actual content.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Roku is different from digistream because it is all clearly legitimate. It accesses a limited set of apps that are mostly useless except for Netflix. And there you are only getting Netflix if you have a paid subscription. This digistream thing seems to be able to get anything. Again, when my friend tried to show me how it worked it wasn't connecting (one obvious flaw in the system), but he claimed you could see "anything" including the latest movies, and that it was all online. If I do a Google or YouTube search for recently released in theater films, of course I don't find anything. So I don't see how a streaming device could do that.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

What about Kodi? Does that grab new movies that aren't available online?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with downloading movies from the Net. I have 6,000+ (and growing) downloaded moves on my Media server (PLEX). 95% are BluRay quality. I have already watched about 12 2017 movies before the even had a release date. And around 35 to 40 that were in theaters. Kodi is only a Media server second only to PLEX. Nothing gets new movies that aren't online.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

They are very similar. Roku does a lot more than you realize: https://www.rokuguide.com/channels

And like the digistream, or a PC running Kodi, or whatever else, they all use "apps" or "channels" to access content. As I already noted, the best source for content are the well known apps/channels like Netflix. But there are many others.

There are also numerous apps to illegally access content (using all of the devices noted above) as I noted above.

Plex and Kodi are similar, but can do different things. Which you choose would depend on exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Just because something is online and can be downloaded, doesn't make it legal to do so. And the forum rules prohibit discussing copyright issues (ie: "free" movie downloading) and illegal activities (downloading movies from the internet - especially movies that haven't been officially released, which in itself notes they are not legal).

Closed Thread