Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

WAN with VLAN ID

This is a discussion on WAN with VLAN ID within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Apologize if my question is not appropriate on this sub forum. .. I have broadband connection with provided modem/router

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Red Faced

Hi,

Apologize if my question is not appropriate on this sub forum.
I have broadband connection with provided modem/router Huawei HG8245H (ONT) and I would need to change it from router mode to bridge mode because I want to use my own router Netgear FVS318G to do some VLANs to the network.

When I see in the modem's WAN setting, there's VLAN there (2416) and I've tried to change it to bridge mode but the Netgear router didn't resolve IP. Does this mean the Netgear router should be in the same VLAN? If so, in the WAN port don't have VLAN setting there.

Thanks beforehand for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

So if your connection setup would be Huawei--Netgear--all connections..

Grab an IP from the Huawei scope assign it as static to the Netgear MAC address and exclude from scope (just in case), assign it as the incoming address for Netgear and make all configuration changes on Netgear.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply tristar,

Yes, that would be my topology. I had setup as per your suggestion but that would be a double NAT which I want to avoid that as the network experiencing a slowdown. I've tested direct connect from Huawei I can get 300 mbps but behind Netgear I only get 60 mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
So if your connection setup would be Huawei--Netgear--all connections..

Grab an IP from the Huawei scope assign it as static to the Netgear MAC address and exclude from scope (just in case), assign it as the incoming address for Netgear and make all configuration changes on Netgear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 02:23 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Any chance you have a QOS/Bandwidth allocation setup ?

Also, you can disable the DHCP server on the Huawei and it will act as an access point rather than doing any NAT.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

Nope, QoS not enabled, I also open all firewalls. The NAT I'm referring to is from public IP from ISP to the LAN in Huawei and NAT from Huawei to Netgear (WAN) to Netgear (LAN). Thus the local PCs see it as double NAT.
It's because I have several server including NAS that gives me warning about double NAT and I need to do some VLANing for accessing the NAS as well as other server.

Quote:
Any chance you have a QOS/Bandwidth allocation setup ?

Also, you can disable the DHCP server on the Huawei and it will act as an access point rather than doing any NAT.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

If you disable Gateway mode on your router, should fall back to AP mode, in which case it only relays the connection.

Ok, you would want to setup Bridged mode in the WAN setup on your Huawei if you want to avoid the double NAT.

Also, to clarify, all NATs would be performed only from the NetGear, there would be no requirement for any device except the NetGear to connect to the Huawei ?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Apologies, looks like you've tried setting it up in Bridged mode, but can't seem to get it to work ?

Are you connecting the router WAN input from the 1st LAN port of the Huawei ? Also, as a test to avoid conflicts, I'd disable the WLAN temporarily to test.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yes, I've successfully change the Huawei router to bridge mode and my Netgear router already got the public IP address & isp dns. And already set dhcp per VLAN and client already got IP and their status is online (In Windows 10 no more exclamation). AD, NAS and all internal server is reachable by all clients. I've checked all VLAN members.

But the funny thing is that client can't browse to internet, although client can lookup to all well-known websites, and also can ping to known public dns such as 8.8.8.8. All servers also have difficulties to go online.

I have no proxy server implemented and all firewall open. I still don't get it where's the problem might be.

Does this problem relates to my ISP? They said everything's normal.

Quote:
Apologies, looks like you've tried setting it up in Bridged mode, but can't seem to get it to work ?

Are you connecting the router WAN input from the 1st LAN port of the Huawei ? Also, as a test to avoid conflicts, I'd disable the WLAN temporarily to test.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

DNS ip displayed in Netgear is the ISP DNS, per the first line of your comment, correct ?

From an endpoint, what is the DNS server that is listed per ipconfig /all ?

And are you able to ping the ISP DNS specified on the Huawei router from an edn point ?

Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, correct.

DNS on endpoint is AD DNS (forward policy: Forward First to ISP DNS) DHCP server is on Netgear and I specify the AD DNS there.

I can ping ISP DNS from end point.

Quote:
DNS ip displayed in Netgear is the ISP DNS, per the first line of your comment, correct ?

From an endpoint, what is the DNS server that is listed per ipconfig /all ?

And are you able to ping the ISP DNS specified on the Huawei router from an edn point ?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

This must be dumb coming in at this point, but is the default Gateway of the end point set to the NetGear IP ?

If you force the ISP DNS on an end point (Obtain DNS set to ISP DNS static), are you able to browse the internet ?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yes, getaway points to Netgear per VLAN gateway.

I've tried that but still can go to internet. But I've tried using my laptop behind Netgear and seems all services such as google drive file stream says online and can sync files. Does this mean my ISP blocking http port due ti bridge mode? I've cloned MAC address of Huawei in WAN profile to Netgear, thus I've able to get the public IP.

Quote:
This must be dumb coming in at this point, but is the default Gateway of the end point set to the NetGear IP ?

If you force the ISP DNS on an end point (Obtain DNS set to ISP DNS static), are you able to browse the internet ?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Nope, afaik, this is an internal DNS issue, if you connect any endpoint directly to the Huawei and you're able to access the Internet, it's not an ISP issue.

Do you have DCs configured ?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #14
Registered Member

I'll try using my pc direct to Huawei, see if I can replicate the problem, otherwise have to look internal DNS problem as you pointed out.

Quote:
Nope, afaik, this is an internal DNS issue, if you connect any endpoint directly to the Huawei and you're able to access the Internet, it's not an ISP issue.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #15
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Do you have Domain controllers ? and DNS servers in the environment ? since you have AD setup.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 AM   #16
Registered Member

Yes, DC and DNS.

Quote:
Do you have Domain controllers ? and DNS servers in the environment ? since you have AD setup.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

On second thought, I don't think there's local problem, since if I use double NAT, everything's ok, but internet throughput is bad, like I said earlier.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #18
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

DNS server automatically grabs your DNS server IP ?

What happens if you force google DNS on any end point ?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
Registered Member

No, I manually specified in DNS server with forward policy to ISP DNS. Tried to change to google dns as well. Because client have to have AD DNS otherwise can't join domain right.

Like I said, I've tried using google dns on random machines, nothing happens, although they can ping it.

Quote:
DNS server automatically grabs your DNS server IP ?

What happens if you force google DNS on any end point ?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #20
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Test this, set the DNS IP to be your DC IP and see what happens ?

Closed Thread