Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

USB Modem, No connection

This is a discussion on USB Modem, No connection within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All, Asking a question on behave of a friend of mine. He works in a lab where there is

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello All,
Asking a question on behave of a friend of mine. He works in a lab where there is no internet connection for the desktops in that lab. He used to stick a Verizon wireless usb modem to his desktop in the lab and access his emails from that desktop. OS of that computer just upgraded to Win7. Everything seems to be working except accessing to email using the usb modem. When the modem is inserted, a web page popped up and the screen said error, no internet connection (something along that line).
Can someone advise how to overcome this connection problem?
Should a new network connection setup in the control panel?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 02:55 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererStone View Post
Everything seems to be working except accessing to email using the usb modem. When the modem is inserted, a web page popped up and the screen said error, no internet connection
I'm sure you have to establish a connection first, before you can access internet services. That modem should have its own connection manager (software) from which you make/break connections, manage SIM card PIN, connection profiles and so on. You have to install the modem's software and its drivers as well (usually a single installation process), before you can actually use it. If the upgrade was done in-place (directly from Vista to Seven) instead of a clean install (formatting), the modem software may require a repair-install for it to work again, but first, you have to find the program (Start menu) and open it.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Or perhaps they put a policy in place that prevents the usb device from being activated.

Odds are, since there is no internet to these pcs, your "friend" is actually violating security protocols at the lab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

@Stancestans Thank you. I am so dumb. Kept thinking about what Control Panel setting need to be modified and overlook a driver is needed to install first. Geez, how can that escape my mind!!
@GentleArrow Good point. The lab is within a hospital. I always wonder why my friend wants to email using a computer instead of his cell. Recent ransom ware attacks at hospitals don't seem to scare him! Scare me!
Old 11-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Having worked at a hospital I can tell you they have even more to be worried about. So many devices are connected to the internet for maintenance and updates [scanners, copiers, xray/catscan machines, records, etc that there are a lot of possible intrusion vectors.

I have to think your friend is in violation of hospital policy. I would hope so.... that the hospital was smart enough to know. This is also a big issue with HIPAA security section.

We put in thin clients and policies that made this impossible for staff to do these types of things. Our rep, licensing and operations demanded it.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Registered Member

@GentleArrow
I hear you. I told my friend to seek help from his IT department instead. I won't sleep well if I help him and compromise the security system. Thanks for advise.
Closed Thread