Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Trend-net TEW-PS1U Wireless USB print server - can't connect

This is a discussion on Trend-net TEW-PS1U Wireless USB print server - can't connect within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For communications, I cannot access the PS1U via wireless or when ethernet connected, using 192.168.0.1 default address in Firefox. I

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

For communications, I cannot access the PS1U via wireless or when ethernet connected, using 192.168.0.1 default address in Firefox.

I found this unit in a thrift shop, followed the reset procedures, and tried the set-up process stated in the manual, but I cannot connect to it.

I have a partly wired and partly wireless LAN at home, run though a new TD-Link W9970. The printer is a Samsung ML2240 that still works well when wired via USB directly to one computer. The router and the printer cannot be placed close to each other, but its not clear that is necessary since the PS1U should connect to the wirelessly.

The set-up software does not install because its 32 bit software and the OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

The PS1U has 4 LEDs PWR, USB, LAN, and WLAN. There are 3 connectors at the rear: Power, USB and LAN. It has a wirless antenna.

For the PS1U, the PWR LED goes on steady when I plug it in. The USB LED flashes on power-up with the printer on and connected. When powered up, the LAN and WLAN go on for a few seconds but then both stay off.

Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

that unit is ancient.
TRENDnet | Support | TEW-PS1U | 11Mbps Wireless Multi-Protocol USB Print Server

only supports 802.11b Wireless
You have "b" enabled for your wifi?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleArrow View Post
that unit is ancient.
TRENDnet | Support | TEW-PS1U | 11Mbps Wireless Multi-Protocol USB Print Server

only supports 802.11b Wireless
You have "b" enabled for your wifi?
Hahahaha. Yes, it is rather old, but so am I.https://www.techsupportforum.com/imag...es/1-uh-oh.gif
In fact, it still works. See my next post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

An update:
The PS1U, in fact, works, but the configuration doesn't really make alot of sense in my view. Here is why:

First I had to find a utility software; I used US Robotics PSUtilitySetup_v3.13.exe. This utility is listed for the P1UG version, but works fine for the PS1U. However, a proper driver was missing and so access to the printer from a computer was not possible (at least on Win7 64). I wasn't going to go fishing for a proper driver; the set-up was looking less useful each time I tried it.

I connected the unit to a LAN port on the router and at the same time to the printer at the USB port. The utility software running in my Win7 PC found the PS1U and I was able to configure it - SSID, password, DCHP IP address, security type, etc. I was then able to access the PS1U via the browser using its IP address in the router info. (I should mention that it would be better to give the PS1U a fixed IP address because DCHP address can change when clients are turned off and on.) This proves that the PS1U can be accessed via a wired network.

After set-up I tried disconnecting the LAN link from the router and calling up the unit via the browser again, but there was no longer a connection. So the wireless connection between PS1U and router didn't seem to work. Without that, the PS1U could only be wired to the router.

Note: After the above experiment, I noted that the PS1U's configuration info was very much like the router's info. That implies that the PS1U doesn't act as a client to the router, but rather as a server to other wireless computers. The rationale for this is not clear.
I'm ready to abandon this unless someone can help set this up for printing through the wireless link alone router to PS1U.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

You should be able to make a LPR tcp/ip port and print to it via wired. Wireless needs to see the print servers wifi signal.

Is the wifi signal showing up?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleArrow View Post
You should be able to make a LPR tcp/ip port and print to it via wired. Wireless needs to see the print servers wifi signal.

Is the wifi signal showing up?
Well, I'm not certain what your question means, so let me clarify the objective:

I want to use my wired computers on the LAN to go through the wireless router and print wirelessly to the print server. The print server (PS1U) should be connected only to the printer itself.

Again, the set-up software works, but the "driver" doesn't exist.

I still cannot connect to the PS1U when it is only connected to the printer. The browser cannot see the PS1U given the PS1U IP address.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

First step is the router seeing the print server. Does it?

I have always thought of LPR [line printer daemon]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_P...aemon_protocol
as the ultimate "driver"

How to do LPR in windows
https://www.itg.ias.edu/content/conn...r-lpr-windows7

You have to give the print server a static ip address which you use in the 'address of server'. You can do this via mac address/dhcp reservation in the router if you can't do it manually through the print server software.
Closed Thread