Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Telephone cable problems.

This is a discussion on Telephone cable problems. within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Our connection to the Internet is by overhead telephone cable. Unfortunately, we are a long way from the exchange. That

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Our connection to the Internet is by overhead telephone cable.
Unfortunately, we are a long way from the exchange. That didn't seem so important in the "dial-up" days when we bought this place, but it isn't much good with ADSL. At best we got around 1Mbps download. But recently this has dropped to 0.5 and sometimes the connection keeps dropping out or disappears completely.
I am reasonably confident that everything inside the house is working ok and suspect that the problem is due to deterioration of the overhead cable, especially as it seems to get worse after rain.
Is there any way I can test the the line to obtain proof that the telephone company ought to be doing something about it? Or must I just wait until it fails completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2016, 03:55 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

with the rain , you may have wind and if the cable runs through any trees that can cause issue - my brother had the same issue and best he can get is 1.5Mbps as hes a long way from the exchange
Eventually after lots of complaints - OpenReach (UK telephone infrastructure) found a problem , cut down the branches and its been great ever since
The problem was a couple of miles down the lane he lives in.
He also noticed noise on the line , when raining or windy, which has now stopped

Old 05-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

How did that picture get there? I want one of those!

Reading between the lines, I am guessing that it is not possible for the subscriber to carry out any conclusive tests and getting anything done will depend on the goodwill of the provider of the physical line.
As is quite common nowadays, our ADSL service provider is not the same as the owner of the line, so I envisage the possibility of a blame game, each one trying to push the responsibility onto the other.

Hey ho, let's give it a try. I may get lucky.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Have you looked into Satellite? It is available in parts of France.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Team Manager - Networking

Any noise on the line , when you use for voice calls?
Ask for a line test

Old 05-30-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Corday,
I have satellite TV and tend to lose signal during heavy rain. I guess Internet via satellite would also do that.

Etaf,
We get "free" calls using a phone connected to the B-Box, so it's hard to know if problems are due to the quality of the line or the shortcomings of VOIP. We do get cut off from time to time, but that seems to be a fairly common complaint. I will try to get the line tested, as you suggest.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

I missed the France part, but here in the States, TelCos aren't known for doing routine maintenance to prevent bad connections. They only respond to trouble reports and even then aren't often very thorough initially. It may take several calls to get them to dig deep enough. It usually ends up being a bad splice somewhere which can be very difficult to find.

Your issue sounds like a bad splice/connection somewhere that gets wet and moves with the wind causing signal degradation.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 AM   #8
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I'll add a little to what Confounded Also said but all I am familiar with are US standards.

First off you need to contact the ADSL provider and register a complaint. Ask your neighbors if they are also having the same problem......they'll be on the same system unless they use satellite or cable.

We have test ports in our interface boxes (where the phone line enters the house) and the homeowner can perform a crude test if they have decent hearing. Pick up a house phone and listen for any static.....ANY static. If it is present I can disconnect the main house feed at the interface and plug directly into the main telephone line to eliminate the wiring system in my house. If the static is still present it is the provider's problem. When I call in to report a problem the tech will ask me to disconnect the house system at the interface......they are not concerned with wiring that they are not responsible for.

If the slow-downs and dropped connections occur when someone is using the "free" calls on your telephone you will need to make sure a filter has been installed between the phone and the connection to the main system. Where the phone is plugged into the wall there must be a filter. The filter cannot be installed anywhere in the system between the modem and the main service. A filter must be installed for each phone you have.......but the main line to the modem must be unfiltered.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi SABL,
Our setup is a bit different. The Service Provider's box is the only thing directly connected to phone socket. There is a filter (recently changed to eliminate that as part of the problem). All the other phone sockets in the house are now redundant. We have a cordless phone plugged into the back of the provider's box and that connects wirelessly to a second base station. These phones are claimed to be suitable for this use and not give problems with the wifi signal. So when I pick up the handset, I am not connected directly to the telephone line, but get a VOIP connection thru the router.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

Somehow I figured things would be different in France......

So, you have actually connected your wireless phone system to the provider's box. I guess you consider it a 'gateway' while what I have is a modem.....should be the same basic device with a different name. My phone is connected to my modem.....I have an actual landline that is not VOIP and the filter is part of the modem with nothing else needed. There are no filters between my modem and the main feed coming from my provider.....a filter will interfere with the internet access. A filter installed in the phone line shouldn't hurt a thing but may be redundant as the modem should already have one if there is a port dedicated for phone use. Anything between the modem and the provider's line will cause problems with your internet connection.

I'm lucky......I can see my 'exchange' (Central Office) from where I sit. Mine is rather close. The company that provides my phone/ADSL went with an underground system ~25 years ago and the wires are no longer on 'telephone poles'.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hi SABL,
French telephone plugs are pretty weird - a massive T-shaped thing with six contacts, only two of which ever get used. A French filter has the same arrangement to attach a telephone, but also has a socket that takes a plug of the type that you are familiar with, that allows connection to a standard router socket. So the only way a router can be attached to the telephone line is thru a filter.
But it seems that we are still getting two different signals down the line in spite of the fact that we can no longer use a landline phone. If I plug an old phone into a filter, I get a continuous (dial) tone that stops when I key any digit. Then I get relative silence without any suspicious crackles or noise. So that seems to rule out a problem with the line.
Confession time! I have had a wifi repeater since February but never got around to installing it, mainly because the instruction leaflet was printed in a case so small you would need the eyes of a sparrowhawk to read it. I finally got around to scanning and enlarging it and it turned out to be quite an easy set-up. I now have 5 bars reception and everything works perfectly. It seems that 2 bars just isn't enough!
Case solved. Thanks for your advice. M.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Glad you solved the problem. If you've only brought it back to the original 1Mbps, I'd consider looking into something else.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Administrator
TSF Manager

Nice to hear you've gotten the problem solved, Mike......

I pretty much have the same thing.......4 wires in my case but only two are used. Well......not the case when the only service was dial-up for internet. I had to have two phone lines or get knocked off the 'net when the phone rang. I still had teenagers at home that kept one line busy. When DSL was available I had the other line disconnected.

Good luck and I hope the phone system gives you no more problems. I almost have my phone support contact number memorized......