Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Strange Internet Speed Issues But Just On One Computer

This is a discussion on Strange Internet Speed Issues But Just On One Computer within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction for this issue. On my desktop, I

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction for this issue. On my desktop, I have been getting very low internet speeds. When I run a speed test using Google's speed test I am getting 8-14 Mbps down 5 up but then when I turn on my VPN speeds go back to where they should be at around 45-50 down 9 up. Now I thought I might be getting throttled but when I test on a laptop sitting in the same spot as the desktop with no VPN I am getting the speeds I pay for, 63 down 9 up. Same with a cellphone, same distance from the router and getting good fast speeds 60 up 9-10 down. So it seems that it is only with the desktop and only when not using a VPN. With the VPN off slow speeds but with VPN on back to speeds where it should be. The desktop is brand new windows 10 and because the speeds go up with a VPN it does not seem to be a hardware issue or bandwidth issue. Any Ideas on where to start looking for what may be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

What type of router and modem do you currently own?

I need to know how you have your traffic routed.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

It is the ARRIS TG1682G. It is the stock Xfinity Gateway router that they rent out. Some other info on things that I have tried so far are: I've tried a different DNS on my device (8.8.8.8) but just on the desktop because Xfinity won't allow for a change in the router settings and I have re-set my cards in CMD just to see if there was an issue happening there with no changes in my situation. It is still 10 up 5 down without a VPN and 45-60 up 10 down with the VPN connection and only on this one device that is brand new and scanned several times for malware all come back clean. I am thinking it is something in this devices setting that are causing the issues but unsure. Any help would be appreciated even if it is just a general direction on where to start looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

Wait wait wait wait wait..... I think you purchased a cable modem, and you are also using the stock XFinity cable modem. Basically what you have is two Modems, and no router.

Basically your five hundred dollar ARRIS TG1682G-CT (Is it an ARRIS TG1682G-CT?) is an "XFinity Modem" and not an actual router. So you need to send your XFinity "cable Modem" back to comcast and get rid of an unnecessary rental fee. Then call Comcast and let them know that you have purchased your own "modem" and give them the MAC ADDRESS of your ARRIS TG1682G. That way it can connect to comcast. Seriously you are paying an extra 8 dollars per month for every month you have that XFinity device inside of your house and not sent back to comcast. That Arris modem is an Xfinity box.

That ARRIS TG1682G supports up to 640 Mega BITS per second (64 mega BYTES per second.) with a certain amount of downstream channels and upstream channels. The XFinity modem may support up to 1,024 Mega BITS per second (102.4 Mega BYTES per second) Depedning on the service you want to purchase. But it sounds like you are using up to 500 Mega BITS per second (or 50 mega BYTES per second.) If you do not plan on purchasing a higher speed then send that comcast modem back and tell xfinity you have your own modem.

Now how many people are using WiFi in your house? or is it just you?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

No, I did not purchase another modem and I am only using the one router/modem that was set up by Xfinity. ARRIS TG1682G is what's displayed in the settings when I log into the router and there are no external names or model numbers on the outside. JUST THE ONE ROUTER. There are multiple devices running on this network but as I said before I don't believe this to be a bandwidth issue because all I need to do is turn on the VPN and the internet speeds are right back to where they should be with the same number of devices connected to the network. I am fairly sure it is some kind of setting either on the desktop or the modem if you have any ideas on where to start looking for conflicts that might be causing this it would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok ok.

So you are the only person using Wifi, and you have no room mates, children, or wife/girlfriend using the Wifi at all? you are the only person using the internet?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

two users with multiple devices each.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

Well then.

it is not a bandwidth issue between comcast and your modem. It is an issue between your modem and the users.

One thing to try:

Turn off the wireless signal for about 5 minutes. Then run a speed test on your computer without the Virtual Private Network running and see if this allows the speed of your internet to increase on that PC.

To turn off your wireless settings you need to access the modem's page. (Typically 192.168.0.1) And go to the wireless settings and switch the radio signal to OFF. It should be somewhere under the BASIC SETUP page. and turn off the wireless signal.

You have no QOS option on that modem so we have to try something different.

After you have had the wifi off for five minutes try turning it back on.

Now this is something that has happened toi me before and it has something to do with the first device that connects to the modem when ever it is first turned on. Which ever unit that connects first is given the upmost attention. So sometimes a wifi device connects before the ethernet user does.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

If you turn the wireless signal back on, and everyone else connects to the modem, and you begin to experience slow speeds again, you may want to try turning off the wireless signal on the modem first. Then unplug the modem for about 1 minutes, and plugging it back in. Then once you are able to connect to the internet again after the power cycle, whilst having the wifi radio signal set to OFF, then see if it fixes the connection issue. Then try turning the wifi back on and see if the problem persists.

If it persists you may need to try purchasing a wifi router (typically a netgear, or linksys wireless router. Don't spend any more than 75 dollars if you do not have more than 6 devices connecting.)

if one of the people in your home plays video games either on their tablet/phone/PC/Playstation XBOX or Nintendo. Then you may need to setup a QOS on those systems specifically on the router and not the modem.

I will be gone for a while now so if it doesn't fix your problem then this is the last thing you can try.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ok tried that still no go but I did notice while poking around in the settings that my desktop is the only device on the 2.4ghz band and all of my other devices are on the 5ghz band. Now it is still weird that the VPN restores the internet speeds to normal but that might be part of the conflict. So far it is just an irritation and not that big of a deal because I am able to get the speeds I need with a VPN but I think in the near future I will replace my wireless card with a dual band and also likely replace the modem to stop renting from Xfinity. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnAfterReadin View Post
Ok tried that still no go but I did notice while poking around in the settings that my desktop is the only device on the 2.4ghz band and all of my other devices are on the 5ghz band. Now it is still weird that the VPN restores the internet speeds to normal but that might be part of the conflict. So far it is just an irritation and not that big of a deal because I am able to get the speeds I need with a VPN but I think in the near future I will replace my wireless card with a dual band and also likely replace the modem to stop renting from Xfinity. Thanks for the suggestions.
So wait. you do not use any ethernet ports for your main computer? just wireless? Are all of the computers on your network connected via Wifi?

If your main PC is close enough to the box you may want to use Ethernet over Wifi. Even with an encrypted signal your wireless connection is way less secure than an ethernet port.

If your VPN gives you a speed bost over wifi then it should be possible to obtain those speeds without the VPN.

But if you have any video gamers in your house this can also affect your internet speed. If there are not any gamers in your house then the time for each DHCP reservation should be terminated/refreshed every 30 minutes. It is a setting in the DHCP settings. Should be under advanced wifi settings. The DHCP IP Release.

If you had a QOS router you would be able to set aside local bandwidth for any computer connected. At least up to three devices at any one time.

But I guess we have tried everything.

Port forwarding might help but that is only for gaming device setups. We could try DMZ hosting but that has a huge security flaw in it.

Either that or maybe the wireless settings deep within the router are causing some conflicts between all devices.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
Troubled

One thing you could try is disabling your virus protection as a test to see a change. Im guessing you're on a Windows machine but you could also check your Network Activity in Task Manager. On the Mac "Activity Monitor." I would look at the "Processes" that are going on while you experience the slow activity. It would be interesting to see how your computer would perform on Ethernet vs Wifi.
Closed Thread