Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Static IP with internal router

This is a discussion on Static IP with internal router within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a modem connected to a DSL line with static IP 10.x.x.0/23 and need to install a router

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a modem connected to a DSL line with static IP 10.x.x.0/23 and need to install a router internally to serve 8 PCs. I'm not sure what settings to put into the router: I have used

Static IP: 10.x.x.0
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.x.x.1 (same details as Static IP but with .1 for gateway)
DNS: 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

I'm connecting a straight through Cat5 cable from LAN port on the router to LAN port on the modem.

But it doesn't get me out into the big wide world.

Wondering where I'm going wrong.

Grateful for your help !

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hi and welcome to TSF!

What is the make and model of your router and modem? This will help us refer to each device's documentation if necessary; to offer you comprehensive advice down the line. You should also keep the manuals of both devices handy and refer to them for detailed instructions, especially for first time users like yourself.

Quote:
I have a modem connected to a DSL line with static IP 10.x.x.0/23
Where did you get the static IP from? Was it supplied to you by your ISP (internet service provider)? If yes, continue on, otherwise set the modem to automatically (dynamically) acquire it.

Quote:
I'm connecting a straight through Cat5 cable from LAN port on the router to LAN port on the modem.
You should connect the cable to the LAN port of the modem to the WAN/Internet port of the router, then set the router's WAN side to acquire addresses automatically from the modem. The router's WAN and LAN interfaces must not be in the same network segment, so if the WAN side is in the 10.0.0.x segment, the router must be in a different segment. Most routers are by default set in the 192.168.0.x network for their LAN side.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Stancestans,

The ISP gave me the wrong static IP details - seems I was pretty much doing the right thing - as soon as I had the right public IP address we were sorted.

Interestingly the subnet mask they provided yesterday 255.255.255.252 didn't work but there were a few inconsistency issues this morning so I tried the .252 subnet mask and hey presto things were OK - is this likely or is it possible I just got confused yesterday ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy68 View Post
Thanks for the reply Stancestans,

The ISP gave me the wrong static IP details - seems I was pretty much doing the right thing - as soon as I had the right public IP address we were sorted.

Interestingly the subnet mask they provided yesterday 255.255.255.252 didn't work but there were a few inconsistency issues this morning so I tried the .252 subnet mask and hey presto things were OK - is this likely or is it possible I just got confused yesterday ?
Your ISP gave you the wrong static addresses. That's all it was, as long as the router-to-modem connection and settings are correct.

Happy surfing!
Closed Thread