Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Slow upload speed from leased line

This is a discussion on Slow upload speed from leased line within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've recently had a CityFibre leased line installed in the office, 500up/500down. speedtest.net reports correct upload and download speeds.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I've recently had a CityFibre leased line installed in the office, 500up/500down.

speedtest.net reports correct upload and download speeds.

However if i try to download a single file from home (Virginmedia 200Mbps line) the maximum speed i can download is about 50Mbps.

All equipment on the LAN runs at Gb speed correctly.

CityFibre say they do not throttle the line. We are using a Draytek 3900 series router which is capable of handling 1Gbps line.

If i start downloading additional files at the same time the speed increases and maxes out to about a total of about 100Mbps.

CityFibre suspect a throttling on the internet when the data has left their network and heads towards Virgin.

My VirginMedia connection at home downloads at 210Mbps normally. If I download e.g. Itunes it uses all the 210Mpbs.

Does it sound right there would be thottling on the internet?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

What is the upload speed on Virginmedia?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

The VirginMedia upload speed is 12Mbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Then theoretically, 12Mbps is the fastest speed in which your Virginmedia connection will be able to upload files to the internet.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

The source file is at work on the 500Mb up and down connection. I'm trying to download from home on the Virgin Connection which can download at 200Mb.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Ah, thought you were at work trying to download a file from home.

If Virginmedia's equipment is not throttling your speed, someone else's equipment somewhere along the (variable) path between your work and home, must be doing so.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

I've done a tracert and can see the various hops. Do you know any way of checking bandwidth on those hops?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Understanding Traceroute (Part 1 Of 4)
Quote:
... “how do I measure the throughput (maximum bandwidth available)?” There are some tools to do that, but few and not very reliable as a whole. Also, such tools should be used with caution, as the only sure way to measure that is to saturate the link to its maximum capacity, but if doing so, especially for a low bandwidth link (such as a T1), it can have drastic impact on the end host and easily slow down its performance while the measurement is done – as the saturation measurement essentially does the same thing as a high traffic volume DoS attack: try to saturate the link capacity, to find out what is the maximum available throughout (so such a measurement can be often taken as a DoS attack, and according steps taken by the end provider – which is why such are best avoided). This is why it is typically not recommended to measure the throughput, and it is not really possible for a typical end user, as the lowest throughput point (the bottleneck) will be likely their end DSL or cable modem connection. If one is determined to measure this, there are some tools, such as the “WAN Killer” in the SolarWinds suite of tools that will try do just this – saturate the WAN, or the various other tools that do this in a more tactful, not a brute force way, conveniently listed here.

[ ...continues...]
Closed Thread