Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Setup AP for extended WiFi range

This is a discussion on Setup AP for extended WiFi range within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am looking to extend the Wi-Fi coverage of my CGN3ACR that sits in the basement so I can

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am looking to extend the Wi-Fi coverage of my CGN3ACR that sits in the basement so I can have a decent Wi-Fi signal both in main floor and upstairs. my internet bandwidth provided by ROGERS is up to 100MB/10MB, the main router- modem (CGN3ACR) is a dual band router. My first question, why am i getting 35-40 MBit of internet speed on the 2.4GHz band while getting up to 140 Mbit on the 5GHz band, is it because of interfirence on the main band?
I wanted to extend the Wifi coverage of this router, so I set up two other routers as Access Points
the routers configs are the following:
1- D-Link DIR 615, connected LAN-To- LAN hardwired connected through Ethernet cable to the main router, different SSID than the main router (for speed test purpose only), DHCP disabled, static ip in the same subnet as the main router, wireless channel: (6) same Wi-Fi encryption and passkey as main router
2- LinkSys E1200, connected LAN-To- LAN hardwired connected through Ethernet cable to the main router different SSID than the main router (for speed test purpose only), DHCP disabled, static ip in the same subnet as the main router, wireless channel: (11) same Wi-Fi encryption and passkey as main router
These three routers for now are 2 feet away from each other just to test the internet speed on each one, and while i am doing the test i am standing right next to them.
test speed result on the 2.4GHz channel on three routers:
CGN3ACR: 30-35 Mbit
D-Link DIR 615: up to 15 MBit max
LinkSys E1200: up to 15 Mbit max
Am i missing any setting? why i am not able to have the full speed of internet on the secondary routers?
PS: I setup the routers on three different wireless channels 1,6 and 11 to minimize interference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

First of all, are you certain of your units? i.e. MByte vs Mbit?
The CGN3ACR is a wireless ac compatible device whereas the other two support only up to wireless n. The difference in speed being a factor of 2X - 3X

Assuming the quoted speeds are in MByte/sec, you are right about where I'ld expect. Even on different channels, being that close together, your routers are most likely interfering with each other
Closed Thread