Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Safe network setup?

This is a discussion on Safe network setup? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hoping someone on here can clarify something for me, please bare with me. I have a Virgin SH3 and I

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gingerbeard
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hoping someone on here can clarify something for me, please bare with me. I have a Virgin SH3 and I get Wi-fi speeds on the wireless devices (max 20-30mbps) around 10% of incoming supply and that on a wired connection (220mbps). I have attempted to solve this by installing a new router with the SH3 set to modem mode however even with the support of virgin gadget rescue I have been unable to get the netgear R7000 router working. I believe the issue is with the IP/gateway/DNS and maybe even MAC addresses causing the issue however nobody is seemingly able to help get a range of values compatible.

Now I have found a work around where I connect the Netgear via a standard Ethernet connection to the SH3 in router mode. I can connect devices to the new netgear networks and they all work fine. What I'm concerned about is if this setup is going to cause issues. I have 2 routers in close proximity to each other both blasting out Wi-fi signals. I can see an option to turn off the Wi-fi signals in the SH3 settings and this will leave just the Ethernet ports functioning, this would seem to be a crude modem mode. I can therefore just connect to the new Netgear router as planned. I'm not sure if this is advisable or not.
feenalauren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

For best results, the routers should be connected via ethernet. If they are close together, there should be no reason to have wifi enabled on both.

There is a sticky in the networking board: https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...rs-655257.html

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no audio after installing XP Pro SP3 to IBM T60
Sound worked fine before installing XP Pro SP3......after instal, no audio. No audio after installing XP Pro SP3 (from disc) on an IBM/Lenovo T60 ThinkPad. IBM/Lenovo drivers from Lenovo Support site for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" are not recognized when trying to install...
Ray G Windows XP Support 19 11-20-2012 07:15 AM
trouble accessing the internet!!!! HELP
I am having trouble accessing the internet due to some malware/spyware that i picked up some days ago. I have run ad-aware which removed 40+ infections including webhancer and tango dialer, etc. I have already deleted this entry on hijack this---- 010 Broken internet access because of LSP...
ashstars Resolved HJT Threads 13 07-28-2005 09:01 PM
Strange issue: auto start of search for webste
Hello everyone - I just registered and I would like to ask for some advice. I have spend hours trying to rid my computer from the isearch menace. I somehow got infected by this issue, though I never clicked on anything to do with isearch afaik. I continously had new browser windows starting up...
JWAT Resolved HJT Threads 60 06-02-2005 01:07 AM
I think i have spyware and virus/I need help
I cant sign on to my msn anymore,Everytime i log on to the internet this oemji search pop up keeps popping up,I dont know where it comes from,I tryed to go to add/remove programs but it wont let me delete it,I tryed to use my system restore but that wont work either,It wont finish through to the...
tdee2005 Inactive Malware Help Topics 15 01-19-2005 12:13 AM