Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Router Won't Reconnect After Being Turned Off And On

This is a discussion on Router Won't Reconnect After Being Turned Off And On within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all! Yes, it's this question again - I can't get my router to reconnect anymore. There was a thunderstorm

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all!

Yes, it's this question again - I can't get my router to reconnect anymore.

There was a thunderstorm last night, and to play it safe I switched off the main power bank that kept the TV/router/modem running. The problem is that once I turned everything back on, the router didn't want to reconnect to anything. This was last night, and it still doesn't want to connect the following afternoon.

I've tried turning both the modem and router off and on again, I've tried leaving them both unplugged for a little while, I've tried resetting the router, but nothing's worked. All the cables are connected properly, so I'm not sure why it isn't working. I know there's a chance that my devices wouldn't automatically reconnect to the wifi, so I had them scan for it, but they couldn't find the signal at all.

Resetting the router seemed to help slightly though. The "internet" light on it switched from red to green. It still won't connect to anything though. Is there anything else that I can do?

I've attached pictures of my router and modem - the red light, the green lights on the modem, a view of both the router and modem, and the lights on the modem

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180923_202255.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	321718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_115459.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	321720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_115526.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	321722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_115544.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	321724  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Did you contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) do see if there service to your address is okay? If it's down, there is nothing you can do until they get it working again.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Have you tried logging into the router to check the status page? All devices should be able to still connect to the network (ie: router) regardless of whether the modem is connected and/or working.

I'm not familiar with that hardware, but the ZyXel I would assume is the modem. In which case, the internet light should be indicating the connectivity to the ISP. In which case, I agree with SpywareDr, contact your ISP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

I had this issue as well.

This is what happened in my endeavor: All of a sudden a few days ago my router stopped working with my modem. After "power cycling" my modem and router countless times my router FAILED to connect to the internet.

Mind you I also have them plugged into a surge protector and it is properly grounded.

And I too had a thunderstorm happen nearby as well.

After several hours I tried the following:

Turn both the router and the modem OFF. (Unplug them.)

Then turn the MODEM on by itself but don't connect it to anything on the ethernet or USB side at all. Let it connect to your ISP and have all the lights show up correctly. AFTER the lights have been all "cycled" THEN plug in your router BUT DON'T CONNECT IT TO THE MODEM YET. Let it do its thing and get up and running.

On your computer connect to your ROUTERS Setup page. (the 192.168.1.1 or what ever it is for yours.)

On there you need to be able to see that your router is not connected to the internet.

You might want to set everything back to default just to be sure, or even reset the entire modem completely to factory settings.

Or you can just NOT reset the router. Either way it is what I tried after several failed attempts.

Plug your modem ethernet or USB cable into the router and see if it will finally connect.

For me it worked but mine has a new isssue. EXTREMELY SLOW INTERNET SPEEDS!

But only if I have it connected to my router. If I plug my computer straight into my modem it works like a charm. No problems. But the moment I put it into my router? NOPE. Slow as hell speeds. Like 1.5 MBPS speed when I should be getting 5.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

One last thing to try: Turn off the Wireless radio. As in TURN OFF WIFI from your router and modem and then try turning it back on.
Closed Thread