Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Router is only selectively visible - works on mobile devices, not on laptop or deskto

This is a discussion on Router is only selectively visible - works on mobile devices, not on laptop or deskto within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. having some trouble all of a sudden at work (small business, no IT dept) Everything worked fine Friday and Monday

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

having some trouble all of a sudden at work (small business, no IT dept)

Everything worked fine Friday and Monday my computer couldn't connect to the router - it was off all wknd no updates or anything.

When I run an Ethernet cable to the router I get internet access. My phone and iPad recognize the router and have Internet access. My laptop has the same trouble as the desktop - can't see the router at all.

From the sticky:

This is a wireless connection issue.

Internet Provider - Comcast

Cable connection

Using a Western Digital My Net N900

Problem computer has norton installed.

Things I've tried:
* power cycling the router and computer
* ipconfig renew and release both wirelessly and wired
* a different command prompt - netsh followed by other stuff I could look up if necessary
* updating the drivers for the wireless connection
* uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the wireless connection
* resetting the router
*system restore to when it last worked

Hoping someone can help me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

If someone walks me through the Xirrus Wifi Inspector I will post that. I have it running but dont see anything else to do...
Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Moderator - Networking

Hi.

When you say you can see the router, do you mean the SSID? Is the SSID is visible to the phone/ipad but not the laptop/pc?

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Xp slow boot after splash screen
After the Windows Xp splash screen I get about 30 to 40 seconds of blackness (could be more) before the cursor appears. When I start in Safe Mode it takes a long time to load mup.sys but that could just be because it's the last one to load. Here's by most recent ntbtlog.txt: Service...
Sulla Windows XP Support 5 06-17-2013 10:29 AM
HP Compaq NC6230 chipset problem
hello, i have a problem with my HP compaq NC6230 notebook. i`m trying to fix it since a week, i`m going to describe what i actually did: 1 it did`nt want to work with the HDD (i think its got a very picky motherboard) and its always showed an error message "1782-disk controller failure" and...
Zs0lt Motherboards, Bios & CPU 7 07-18-2011 02:02 PM
connect wireless laptop to desktop wired to router?
when i google, it tells me i have to use a cable to connect to a computer that is on a lan. my desktop is wired to my router. i want to connect my laptop wireless-ly. i know it can be done but i don't know how. how do i know it can be done? because i kept trying and trying and trying...
RyuB Networking Support 2 07-08-2011 03:54 PM
Can't connect to router but wireless works elsewhere
You guys must hate hearing this question so much. I have a Gateway desktop computer easily connected to an internet providing modem from Comcast. I have tried to set up a wireless router so that I can connect my Sony laptop, but have not succeeded. The laptop has a built in wireless device that...
edvardjr Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 12 03-19-2011 01:52 PM
Wireless Blu Ray Makes Laptop Unable to Connect to Router
I have a Dell Dimension 4400 pc (XP SP3) connected to Linksys WRT54G2 v1.5 router with no issues. Dell Inspirion (XP) connected to router with Linksys WPC54G Wireless notebook adapter with no issues for months. A couple of days ago, purchased a Vizio Blu Ray DVD Player (VBR220) with WiFi. I...
wrinklem Networking Support 3 01-05-2011 03:03 PM