Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Router for a place saturated with other Wi-Fi networks

This is a discussion on Router for a place saturated with other Wi-Fi networks within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm looking for a wireless router with a stable, highly reliable connection in a place heavily saturated with other Wi-Fi

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm looking for a wireless router with a stable, highly reliable connection in a place heavily saturated with other Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. One client will be connected through 2,4 GHz 802.11g connection and another one through LAN, while the data rate will be low (max 200 KB/s). There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %. I have already tested Linksys WRT54GL in such environment and it crashed within few minutes with occasional packet loss beforehand. On the other hand, Cisco Meraki MX64W worked without a single problem.

Cisco is out of my budget, I am looking more towards ~200 $. Currently I aim for Asus RT-AC68U, Asus RT-AC87U, Linksys WRT3200ACM and Netgear AC1900 (R7000), but I don't really know what is the crucial thing to look for. Which router would you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Maybe your Linksys could still satisfy your needs if you locked in on one band and one channel as well as setting channel width.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Agree with Corday. Use a Wifi inspector App on the phone and scan all channels, find the channels with least or zero usage and lock that channel on the router.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

If you are looking for an enterprise grade wireless access point (please note that access points will require a router) then Unifi might be the solution for you. I currently use a pair of unifi AC pros. They are robust and put out decent speed. However, it is important to note that enterprise grade equipment is not necessarily designed for speed, but rather reliability and security. Bigger price tag if you want all three.

If you are using a super saturated environment and do not need super long range I would suggest using the 5 GHz band. The 5 GHz band does not travel as far and has far more channels. The combination of this will make it more likely for you to find an available channel. If 5 GHz does not do the trick you can try the 60 GHz. That will travel even shorter distances (pretty much line of sight, will not traverse walls well) and has not been adopted by many folks yet. But for the same reason as above, the shorter the transmission distance the less possibility for interference.
Closed Thread