Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Replacing ISP Modem

This is a discussion on Replacing ISP Modem within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have long been interested in buying a new modem so I don't have to deal with my ISPs monthly

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have long been interested in buying a new modem so I don't have to deal with my ISPs monthly modem charge. I found one for a great cyber monday deal but didn't put a lot of thought into it. It is a good modem but I don't have a router as the modem I am renting is one that is a modem/router combo. Would any of these suffice: https://www.amazon.com/slp/best-rout...ot87g3r2yqn8jf Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Before you run out and buy one, see if threatening Comcast with cancellation doesn't get them to drop the monthly fee.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Pencil

I would advise against threats. And avoid calling comcast until you get your modem.

Pretty much any router and modem combo will work. But depending on how many people are going to connect to the wireless router matters. Either wired or wireless. If you are the only person connecting to the modem and you do not have any wireless devices that you use currently then all you need is a modem and no router. If you have any cell phones or tablets connecting to them, but you are the only person using the wifi then any router will work. But if you have multiple people using the wifi, consider getting a router that has a qos setup. Or better known as "media prioritization" as one of its features.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comcast nagging about upgrading modem.
We keep getting nagged by Comcast about upgrading our modem. Is this really necessary? Everything is working fine on our end, I don't see any reason to get another modem. Here's the most recent nag-mail we got. It's vague on why exactly we need another modem, just bs about "..getting the...
Brinybay Other Hardware Support 19 10-02-2016 05:02 PM
GSM modem giving up after a few days
Hi all, i have an interesting setup on a mobile laptop that i hope someone can help me with as i have had an issue that has plagued me for a while.... My setup Laptop running windows 7 I have 3 networks i am connected to 1. Wifi 2. Modem 1 (internal modem) Vodafone
ChrisT100 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 0 04-11-2015 08:10 PM
configuring ADSL zYXEL P-6OO MODEM
I want to configure a modem in bridge mode. The details are as under. 1.Computer: HP Sleekbook 2. O.S. : Windows 8.1 64bit 3. Modem : Zyxel brand , Model: P-660-t1v2 4. Router : Belkin Playmax WIFI 5. Inernet: Airtel Broadband The laptop is not provided with an Ethernet port.
pmvali Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 1 12-20-2014 07:57 AM
Windows 7 hangs just after startup each time
Just after startup, I can see the desktop, all icons, the system tray, etc., but if I click anything, it immediately hangs. I am eventually given an error from the bottom left corner of the screen stating that "Microsoft Windows" is not responding. I can wait and the application may respond or I...
slhaas BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 3 08-03-2011 04:49 AM