Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Question about Modem/Internet Speeds

This is a discussion on Question about Modem/Internet Speeds within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Bear with me, I have an AT&T Arris (NVG510) Modem/Router which is supposed to be cable internet... However, there are

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Bear with me,

I have an AT&T Arris (NVG510) Modem/Router which is supposed to be cable internet... However, there are only two cords, power and phone/DSL broadband... So, I'm assuming we have DSL Broadband,

We're supposed to be receiving at least 15mbps and when I run speedtest, it does reveal that my download speeds are hitting 15-17mbps while upload speed is not so good at about 0.5mbps...

However, when I download ISO's, for example; Ubuntu, Linux, OpenSuse, and other files, I only get up to 1.5mbps, it barely hits above 1.6, at times...

Obviously, I'm not downloading these redundantly, and internet speeds are addressed through the ISP. But, what I'm wondering about is whether the DSL is maxed out, and if it's the router/DSL or not? It doesn't add up to me, because if the DSL is maxed at 1.5mbps, how am I reaching 15mbps on Speedtest.net both through WiFi and Ethernet connections.

Any suggestions or ideas about how I can enhance my download speeds, basically, should I switch out the DSL Modem/Router for a Cable one, or Is this simply an ISP cap or is there something I'm missing?

I'm not interested in opinions that don't actually address my question, Any productive input is appreciated,

TIA,

~Ssb22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

First, if you have DSL service, then you can't use a "cable" modem.

And if the speedtest results are good, then your service is performing as expected. Downloads can vary by site and connection method.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow download speeds, normal upload speeds only on one comp
Is this a wired or wireless connection issue? Both ipconfig /all output of the computer(s) in question for review: Microsoft Windows (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : living-roompc Primary Dns Suffix...
Matty D Networking Support 1 06-26-2014 10:31 AM
[SOLVED] Internet Download and Upload Speed Question
I don't know if this really belongs here, but you guys have been great answering my questions so far. This is the issue: I have Blast internet from Comcast. If I test my download and upload speeds using "Speakeasy" direct (without my router), I get the results below: Download speed: 56.82...
TexasBandit Windows 8, 8.1 Support 13 06-24-2014 10:54 AM
DSL Question
Iím going to rant a little along with my question. First, I live in a rural community where there are only two high speed options. The phone line and the satellite. I used to loose satellite signal on cloudy days sometimes, so I ruled that out, not to mention, I donít want my stuff floating...
bubbat Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 10 12-04-2012 03:59 AM
Low Downstream Speeds.
Hello, I don't know where to begin, really or if I'm in the correct thread. As of yesterday my internet speeds had dramatically dropped from an average of 3/4Megs to according to Speedtest.net 0.20Megs. Going into my router setup which is a DG834PN my connection speed is the following. ...
Krazeur Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 4 10-30-2012 05:59 AM
At my wits end with fan noise - BIOS question
My old (5 years) HP is excessively noisy (I clean it out regularly - it's not that). It was getting on my nerves today and I tried once again to figure out what, precisely, is going on. Got some weird results. I installed speedfan, which showed me that 1 fan was running at 4400 RPM, and...
clashradio Motherboards, Bios & CPU 1 01-12-2011 05:13 PM