Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Protecting Router from Lightning Strike

This is a discussion on Protecting Router from Lightning Strike within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I live in the United Kingdom. The company that provides my internet service is British Telecom. Many years ago I

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I live in the United Kingdom. The company that provides my internet service is British Telecom.

Many years ago I had an internal modem in my computer and motherboard destroyed by a lightening strike.

Today I ordered a surge protector for the phone line to which I connect my new broadband router that was supplied when I upgraded from the basic ADSL to Fibre Optic broadband. The power supply to the router is also surge protected

I guess I am playing safe because many years ago I had an internal modem in my computer and motherboard destroyed by a lightening strike. I do however ask myself if protecting the phone line is really necessary and that perhaps the telephone company as provided all the necessary protection.

I would appreciate any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

See 1st question/answer here: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/t...g-strikes.html

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Lightning cannot travel through fiber optic into your gateway. It could get in through the power lead though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

It is not fibre the whole way. The section from the street cabinet to the houses is still the old copper cable. That is why I thought I needed the surge protector on the line.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Oh, my Verizon FIOS (little flexible optical fiber cable) runs all the way into the Verizon gateway inside my house. I take over with Ethernet from there.

(Most everything electronic I own though is connected to CyberPower UPSs. A few years back when we lived in South Florida for 25 years, I learned an expensive lesson. Lightning strikes and power outages are a common occurrence there.)

All wires (copper, aluminum, etc.) coming into your house are a natural conductor for lightning. A bolt of lightning is looking for the fastest way possible to ground ... and a wire is faster (less resistance) than through the air.
Closed Thread