Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problems securing a Linksys Access point?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Some co-workers and myself recently had Comcast come into our building and install the internet for us. Everything is running great except that the connection is unsecured.

Today we were attempting to secure it and for some reason we are unable to get into the router to do it. We can't figure it out for the life of us.

We are using a Linksys Wireless G, access point. WAP54G

I am not sure if the problem lies in the fact that it is an access point and not a router or not. I assumed that we would still be able to connect to settings like on a regular router.

Am I right in assuming that we should be able to lock it down?

If so, what would the ip address be?

#3 ·
We have tried everything.

The normal ip for this model is usually 192.168.0.245, that don't work.

Tried to reset the router. Nope, Tried to do a long reset. Nope. Don't work either. I just don't get what the hell is up with this AP.

#5 ·
I dunno, I think for some reason it is mimicking the IP of the Comcast modem. Who knows. I think we are just going to leave it unsecured for now until we can get a regular router.

#6 ·
I thought the normal IP for that model was 192.168.1.245 not 0. I know netgear uses the 0 for the third group. LInksys has traditionally used 1. See if that helps you in your quest for better access... if you have defaulted the AP, remember the password is now blank and you just press enter to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.